Subject: Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

Re: Discussion regarding reordering the main/root menu

From: Hayden Pearce <saint.lascivious_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 01:52:36 +1200

On 29 August 2011 20:45, Kaspar Rothenfußer <addressforads_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 29.08.2011, 16:34 +1000 schrieb Jonathan Gordon:
>
> How can you be so such a stubborn dictator? As an observer, I see a 5-6
> comitters majority against you.
> To add a users perspective: I access the settings menu quite
> regularly,especially the playback settings. Config files are a pain in
> th ass, and (I think) only used in special scenarios where a user has
> 2-3 fixed groups of settings. Friends I have helped with installing
> rockbox have never heard of the files (and call me when they want
> settings changed). The manual is in general not read, as good as it is
> and this won't chabge. So anything that makes the settings more visible
> and accessible following user's intuition would be great. I had problems
> not finding t&d in settings (where it belongs) before, but it would not
> be bad to have it in a system settings subgroup with other "once and for
> all" settings. Also remember that the main reason to change settings is
> to change things influencing playback or how the device looks. This is
> not Gnome where you have to handle external devices, Wifi access and
> packet sources... so a "system" menu item seems one more useless click
> to me.
>
> Just my 2c,
> Cheers,
> Kaspar

I find your suggestion that Jonathan is being a "stubborn dictator" here
frankly quite offensive, if this were really the case he would not be
opening up the discussion for people like yourself to comment on.
You also make several highly speculative comments, in particular regarding
config files and the manual.
You yourself might not read the manual, and you might not like the idea of
custom config files...but lets keep our observations limited to our own
experiences and not try to guess the behaviour of the masses, shall we?

It was actually I, that opened this can of worms regarding the menu layout,
not Jonathan, but I congratulate him on the level of patience he has had
during the ongoing discussions that surround these obviously contentious
changes.

A dictator would say "this is how it is, and nothing you can say or do will
change this...it is happening", not open the floor to those willing to
comment in case they might have a better suggestion than he.

I have linked in this thread, a Google Doc that everyone with access to the
link is free to edit. If you feel you can come up with a better proposal
please feel free to do so. However, if you do edit the doc I ask only that
you append your proposal to the bottom of the document as opposed to editing
directly anyone else's proposal. It would also be helpful if you added as
much comments explaining your proposal as possible so that we can all be
made aware of why you think X is better than Y, or why Z is unacceptable to
you.

[Saint]