Subject: RE: Git/gerrit migration status and next steps

RE: Git/gerrit migration status and next steps

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 17:59:31 +1000

On Sep 7, 2011 5:43 PM, <bryan.childs_at_rbs.com> wrote:

> > Do we really want to allow commits directly? so little of our code ever
gets
> > reviewed so I would quite happily force everyone to go through gerrit
and
> > require someone else to OK it. It isnt hard to get someone else in IRC
to have
> > a quick look and push the button.
>
> Absolutely against requiring this.
>
> We trust committers to do "the right thing".
>
> If you have a patch you think needs this - submit to refs/for/master.
>
> For small commits, this would be a completely pain in the arse, and
totally unwarranted.

> Bryan Childs

This isn't about people doing the wrong thing. This is about trying to get
code quality. And yes it will be a minor pain sometimes, but a small fix has
just as much fuck-up-ability as a big one and is *easier* to sanity check
then the required debugging later.

This is something gerrit makes easy and we should absolutly do it. Remember
that you push directly to gerrit, this doesn't require you to open your
browser.