Subject: Re: Git/gerrit migration status and next steps

Re: Git/gerrit migration status and next steps

From: Nils Wallménius <nils.wallmenius_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:02:44 +0200

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Martitz <kugel_at_rockbox.org> wrote:
> Am 07.09.2011 10:29, schrieb Nils Wallménius:
>>
>> I think it could be interesting to test it actually.
>>

> Testing it will probably show that it works in the beginning, but it will
> not show that this way degrades to clicking away commits like ads (without
> even looking) in the long (or even short) term.
>
> We can't force people to actually review. And we can't force them to do it
> properly. This way has no hope of working as intended.
>
> What it may work for is to open the ability to point at someone else for
> every controversial/bad/unwanted commit. This even reduces the motivation to
> review (and to work on Rockbox in general).
>
> Best regards.

That's the whole point of a test, to see how it works out, you seem
certain that it *can't* work which i find overly negative. Of course
we can't force people to do anything but i think this will encourage
people to review, if it turns out it doesn't work, we disable it.

I don't see why people have focused on the "blame-sharing" as someone
called it in IRC how many commits do we get that are actually bad?

Anyway, i agree with Torne about taking one step at a time.

Nils