Subject: Re: SUMMARY 2: FS#10849 - Sleep timer options: persistent duration and start on boot

Re: SUMMARY 2: FS#10849 - Sleep timer options: persistent duration and start on boot

From: Nick Peskett <rockbox_at_peskett.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:41:13 +0100

On 26/08/2011 07:46, sideral wrote:
> After much IRC discussion, it turned out that my first assessment (that
> there would be little to no concern about the T&D menu move) was wrong.
> Discussions are still ongoing on how to change the menu in the short and
> long term. Personally, I'm only marginally interested in the menu
> layout, and I will not anticipate the result by committing any menu
> change now.
>
> Also, everyone agreed that the sleep-timer enhancements are not blocked
> by any menu change, so the following part of the plan is still in place:
>
> * In the "Time& Date" menu:
> * "Sleep Timer" offers the last-used timer value as its default.
> (This value is made persistent by way of the settings code.) When
> the timer is running, the entry changes to "Cancel Sleep Timer
> (hh:mm)", showing the remaining time.
>
> * Add "Start sleep timer on boot" option after "Alarm Wake up Screen".
>
> Nick Peskett, the original patch author, has updated his patch to
> implement just this (see FS#10849). I'll commit this patch after I've
> reviewed and tested it unless something unexpected comes up.
>
> Thanks to everyone who's chimed in to this discussion! You've certainly
> helped making the patch smaller. Er, better. ;-) Special thanks to Nick
> for keeping up his good spirits.
>
> Cheers,
> sideral

It seems something unexpected came up in the last month...

Would anyone else mind checking the patch with a view to checking it in?

It's quite trivial now, I've pared the patch down so it changes as
little as possible, there's probably more additions to the manual/ lang
files than to the code.

BTW, the only difference from sideral's summary above, I didn't
implement renaming the existing "Sleep Timer" menu item to "Cancel Sleep
Timer (hh:mm)" when the sleep timer is active. It occurred to me that
this would only be accurate when the menu item was generated, if a user
required a countdown, they'd be better off with a theme that showed time
remaining.

Thanks,

Nick