Subject: Re: FS#12321 - Touchscreen: List line padding, to more easily selectlines

Re: FS#12321 - Touchscreen: List line padding, to more easily selectlines

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_pondlife.me>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:57:49 +0100

>> I disagree. I don't want to mix Android and Rockbox GUI elements in in
>> this version. For one, it would kill the skinning.

As a clean-freak Android user, I'd want to see native lists and widgets
wherever possible. Skinning of lists (or selection of cursor bar colours,
or list line padding) is something that would be unused in this mode - more
important to get the right kind of standard feel with list acceleration etc.
(the A-Z index too - if that's a standard widget thing).

(I would not be keen on a skinned list that's been set up to look like a
native widget; that sounds like the hard way to do it - and it may not match
all OS versions and manufacturer themes.)

I'd still want a skinnable WPS/FMS, and (probably) status bar though -
presuming it's possible to constrain Android lists in a particular viewport.

However, I can imagine that other users might want to go with some
non-standard lists so skinnable lists would still be retained as an option.

I regard skinning as a nice-to-have optional extra, and a layer above the
individual settings. Thus, I don't see a problem with this patch being
committed as it massively improves touchscreen use regardless of theme. The
few themes we have which include skinned lists can disable it if they wish,
just as they can modify any setting, no?

pondlife