Subject: Re: RDS support in Rockbox

Re: RDS support in Rockbox

From: Amaury Pouly <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 22:15:13 +0100

> I'm thinking of the following interface:
> - int rds_process(uint16_t data[4])
> which returns a number indicating what kind of data has been
> received. When something is received, the fm tuner driver can call
> a function to get a copy of the RDS data, something like:
> - bool rds_get_stationname(char *buf, int bufsize)
> - bool rds_get_radiotext(char *buf, int bufsize)
> When the FM frequency is changed, the RDS data is invalidated with
> - void rds_reset(void)
>
> What do you think?

I think this interface makes sense, I just don't quite get why it's
interesting to know the type of rds packet received but I guess it's better
to have it in case.
I also want to add something quite orthogonal to this considerations. I
know of one FM tuner chip (the STFM1000) which has RDS support but
apparently in a way which is so low-level that the driver has to do things
like integration and error correction (the linux for it is >=1000 lines)
which might generic or chip-specific (can't tell without the datasheet).