Subject: Re: Beginner question -- compile only a single plugin

Re: Beginner question -- compile only a single plugin

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:50:20 -0500

On 11/29/2011 17:32, Sebastian Aus wrote:
> I see. But I'm not interested in distributing the plugin, I want to
> test it (on the simulator). Is there a better way?
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Mike Giacomelli
> <giac2000_at_hotmail.com <mailto:giac2000_at_hotmail.com>> wrote:
>

> >The issue is that I would like to compile just the plugin I'm
> working on, to get the .rock file, and not the whole rockbox. How
> would I do this?
>

> I *think* you'd have to edit the build scripts. Generally
> everything gets built since you usually do not distribute plugins
> separately from the rockbox build they work with.
>

> Mike

You're probably best off using the make system as written to build an
entire simulator build, including your plugin, and installing it. If
you haven't done this before, create a test folder inside the svn
checkout folder, use "../tools/configure" in it and specify a simulator
build, then "make", then "make fullinstall". Run the sim with
"./rockboxui". (This is straight from memory, so I might have goofed
some of the details...). Don't forget to include your plugin in the
appropriate SOURCES file so the build system uses it.

But it's not as bad as it sounds since if you change the source code,
and rerun make, only the changed files and their dependencies will
rebuild so it goes much faster after the first time. In your case, only
the rock file ought to be rebuilt after the first time through. Then
you can copy the new rock file to the sim plugins folder by hand to
retest rather than use make install, since it's faster.

Jeff