Subject: Re: recorder 8MB build

Re: recorder 8MB build

From: Boris Gjenero <boris.gjenero_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:47:32 -0500

On 04/12/2011 5:01 AM, Marcin Bukat wrote:
> Hello rockboxers,
> The error about recorder 8MB build hangs for quite some time and noone
> is willing to fix this situation. Considering the fact that 8MB
> version is a hardware mod I would propose to take out this build from
> our build system. If someone is skilled enough to fiddle with smd ram
> chips I bet will be also capable to build from sources. It would be
> polite probably to put some explanation on the wiki why this build is
> taken out and what needs to be hacked to get it compile though.
>
> Marcin Bukat

There probably isn't any nice solution for making Rockbox fit in ROM. I
tried to build with -ffunction-sections -Wl,--gc-sections, but the size
decrease is too small. I got a bigger size decrease with
binutils-2.21.1, gcc-4.6.2 and link-time optimization, but that actually
makes the UCL compressed size larger. Removing functionality (such as
dircache) that's enabled by the added memory doesn't seem right.

There might be one simple solution: build BootBox without the recovery
via USB part, and distribute that as rockbox.ucl, for flashing as the
second image. This means there's no new bootloader release and the
original BootBox remains as the first image for recovery purposes. The
new second BootBox will run by default and either display the charging
screen or load /ajbrec.ajz. You could even make the charging screen in
the 2nd BootBox look like the normal charging screen, because there's
plenty of space for that.

I don't have any objections to simply to removing the 8MB recorder
build. I was thinking the same thing about users probably being able to
build from sources. Even if the Recorder was sold or given to someone
who can't compile from source, it's okay because they can't expect
firmware upgrades forever.

Regards,

Boris