Subject: Almost ready to go on git migration :)

Almost ready to go on git migration :)

From: Torne Wuff <torne+rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:34:57 +0000

Hi again folks,

Yes, I didn't get much further with the git migration for a while;
sorry about that. My motivation to work on programming projects at
home is somewhat lower these days :) We've released 3.10 now so this
is a better time to make the change anyway...

We are, now, pretty much ready to go. The current plan (which has
changed somewhat from the plan I posted previously):

1) I'm going to update our wiki docs (in theory this weekend) that
currently refer to svn with basic git/gerrit usage, so people have at
least a decent set of instructions as to how to check out the code and
submit changes. I'm also going to try and get the policy into a form
that actually explains how to do the things it suggests. These docs
are probably not going to be super thorough; we can refer people to
git tutorials for now. If someone wants to take on expanding the docs
later they're welcome to.

2) Shut off write access to svn, mirror to git one last time.

3) Enable commit permissions for committers (if you are not in the
committer group on Gerrit, let me or zagor know and we'll add you) and
start taking new changes in git.

4) Update the build system scripts to pull new code from git, and
update the website scripts to display git changes instead of svn.

5) People can work on improved docs, customising gerrit's html, etc later.

Doing it this way around is easier; trying to maintain both sets of
infrastructure in parallel is just not worth it (it's not the end of
the world if it takes a day for the build system to be running again).

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk