Subject: Moving sleep timer menu items/ restart timer on keypress

Moving sleep timer menu items/ restart timer on keypress

From: Nick Peskett <rockbox_at_peskett.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:09:03 +0000

Hi,

There's currently a couple of sleep timer options, one to start/ cancel
the timer, one to start it at boot.

If there's a RTC (real time clock) they live in the Time & Date sub menu;

Settings
   Recording Settings
   Time & Date
     Set Time/Date
     Sleep Timer
     Start Sleep Timer On Boot
     Time Format
   Manage Settings

In this case, I think their relation to Time & Date is tenuous (that
they exist without a RTC might vindicate this). I think the sleep timer
has more in common with Idle Poweroff.

In addition, on devices with small screen sizes (I'm thinking of the
Sansa Clips), the current time viewport takes up half the screen, making
multiple menu options below awkward.

If there's no RTC, they live in the root of the Settings menu;

Settings
   Recording Settings
   Sleep Timer
   Start Sleep Timer On Boot
   Manage Settings

I think this is too low a level for the majority of users.

Apart from the UI problems, this duality makes coding and manual writing
awkward, with the if/ else for the same code/ paragraph moving around
according to whether there's a RTC.

The second part of the subject; I've written a patch to restart an
active sleep timer when a key is pressed;

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12338

Initially this was a new sleep timer option, but when I brought the
subject up on IRC, it was suggested that it might be the default
behaviour (I wrote an alternate patch to do this). It was also suggested
that this wouldn't be desirable at all.

http://www.rockbox.org/irc/log-20111208#10:10:39

So depending on whether the consensus is (1) a new sleep timer option
(my preference), (2) permanently restarting on keypress or (2) no patch
applied at all, what do people think about the following?

1;

Settings
   Playback Settings
   General Settings
       System
         Idle Poweroff
         Sleep Timer
           Sleep Timer
           Start Sleep Timer On Boot
           Restart Sleep Timer On Keypress
         Limits
   Theme Settings

2;

Settings
   Playback Settings
   General Settings
       System
         Idle Poweroff
         Sleep Timer
         Start Sleep Timer On Boot
         Limits
   Theme Settings

3;

?

Finally, the "Sleep Timer" entry which starts the sleep timer might be
renamed "Start Sleep Timer"?

Cheers,

Nick