Subject: Re: Moving sleep timer menu items/ restart timer on keypress

Re: Moving sleep timer menu items/ restart timer on keypress

From: Nick Peskett <>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:43:23 +0000

On 20/12/2011 14:26, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> May I propose a 3rd alternative, instead?
> As you mentioned, the sleep timer has more in common with the idle
> poweroff. So, for your new feature, how about merging idle power off and
> sleep timer to an inactivity timer, with the additional option of
> whether to run during playback (yes/no). Then a keypress would always
> reset the timer.

Interesting idea.

People would lose the "classic" sleep timer behaviour (unaffected by
keypresses) in this case though, wouldn't they? I can't think of a
useful case, but I suspect one might exist.

Also, I think people are familiar with the concept of sleep timers and
idle timeouts, so even if we merged the code, I think getting too smart
with menu options might just confuse.

> As for your suggestions, I don't quite agree with moving sleep timer out
> of t&d into system. It's related to time, after all. However I could
> imagine to move the idle power off timer to time & date. And then
> possibly make the t&d menu unconditionally of RTC presence (perhaps only
> change the name to "Time & Date" vs just "Time").

The problem with the Time & Date menu (when it's in RTC mode) is it's
burdened with the clock viewport at the top, limiting its use as a menu.