Subject: We've moved to git! No more SVN!

We've moved to git! No more SVN!

From: Torne Wuff <torne+rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 23:02:35 +0000

Hi folks,

Just to let everyone know, we have now shut off commit access to the
SVN server, and enabled commit access to the Git repository hosted on
our Gerrit instance. This means that your svn checkouts are now
obsolete, and to get newer versions of Rockbox you will need to check
it out using Git.

For instructions on how to use the git server, see
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/UsingGit which hopefully explains it well
enough :)

We are in the process of migrating the build system, the recent
changes on the website, the CIA bot on IRC, and other services to be
based on git. You should probably hold off on committing any
significant code changes until we have the build system running again
:p

The svn server is still available for read access up to the last
version committed, r31646. This will eventually go away, but remains
available for now in order to help anyone with pending changes in a
svn checkout update to the last possible point before creating a diff.

If you want to help out with the migration process, there's several
things you could do:

1) Help to update documentation on the wiki to refer to the UsingGit
page - currently everything refers to SVN still.

2) Help to update references to SVN in the docs directory in the source.

3) Test out the process and suggest improvements to UsingGit.

4) Try your hand at writing html/css to embed into Gerrit to make it
look more like the rest of our site (see
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/Documentation/config-headerfooter.html for
how this works)

5) Help people on #rockbox with the tools migration, if you know how
the build system/etc work.

6) Be around on #rockbox to help people out in general with using git.

7) Anything else you can think of! (bug Torne about stuff).

One thing to note is that code reviews on Gerrit are not yet enabled.
You can try this out on the sandbox repository by following the old
GerritDemoGuide instructions on the wiki; I'll turn it on on the real
repositories once we've written up some docs about how non-committers
can use it and some guidelines on how to prepare acceptable patches to
upload to it. We have enough work to be getting on with :)

Thanks to Zagor who has done all the server side work to get this
hosted on our infrastructure, thanks to everyone who contributed ideas
and comments while I was writing the docs and policies, and thanks in
advance to everyone who helps out with getting the remaining tools and
docs migrated over! Apologies for this taking so long, but I've been
really busy :p

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk