Subject: Re: plugins

Re: plugins

From: Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 08:23:28 -0500

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Marcin Bukat <marcin.bukat_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Following discussion on IRC
> (http://www.rockbox.org/irc/log-20120202#12:14:31) I would like to
> rise the issue with current state of plugins. We have lots of this,
> almost every one have separate keymap (only a few use PLA). Making
> plugins to compile is tedious work during porting. In configure you
> can disable all plugins but this is not a solution as usually you want
> at least test_ family to compile and compiling plugins separately is a
> pain. The outcome of IRC discussion is twofold:
> 1) Rework plugin building so it would be easy to enable particular
> plugin on a given target. If someone wants particular plugin he is
> welcome to provide a patch.
> 2) Relax the requirements for target to become stable. I mean we could
> agree on minimal subset of plugins (and documentation in manual)
> needed for a given port to fulfill stable criteria. Rockbox is about
> playing music and not playing games and watching rotating cube after
> all.

I'm all for option 2. The more important plugins would be ones like disktidy,
the test_* suite of plugins, vbrfix, stats...

Okay, let me try that again. :)

Basically, everything in the "applications" category, the test_* suite, and
(arguably) the PictureFlow plugin, since that works with the database
functionality,
and offers up the option for one to browse their music collection that way.

The games can be a major pain in the ass on some new targets, especially if said
target has a unique resolution (isn't that right, SA9200 and Clip
Zip?) and thus won't
have immediately available graphics made for it.

Just my 2 bits.

--Robert
--
Nobody's ever lost in life...they're merely taking the scenic route.