Subject: Re: plugins

Re: plugins

From: Amaury Pouly <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 15:41:43 +0100

2012/2/2 Marcin Bukat <>

> Hello rockboxers,
> Following discussion on IRC
> ( I would like to
> rise the issue with current state of plugins. We have lots of this,
> almost every one have separate keymap (only a few use PLA). Making
> plugins to compile is tedious work during porting. In configure you
> can disable all plugins but this is not a solution as usually you want
> at least test_ family to compile and compiling plugins separately is a
> pain. The outcome of IRC discussion is twofold:
> 1) Rework plugin building so it would be easy to enable particular
> plugin on a given target. If someone wants particular plugin he is
> welcome to provide a patch.
> 2) Relax the requirements for target to become stable. I mean we could
> agree on minimal subset of plugins (and documentation in manual)
> needed for a given port to fulfill stable criteria. Rockbox is about
> playing music and not playing games and watching rotating cube after
> all.
> So I would like You to express your opinion.
> Marcin

I think everything has been said. Option 2 seems sensible to me. It's
clearly a real pain to make sure all plugins work perfectly on a target. I
believe that a more "on-demand" strategy is ok, You have a subset of
required plugins and you fix the others when users complain or when you
have time :) The point is to define the subset. It might be interesting to
have the opinion of someone who did the work recently (Jean-Louis Biasini
for the Fuze+) so we have an overview of which plugins are easy and which
are hard. When I tried, most games where a pain because I didn't really
wanted to test them (I don't even know the rules of some); but lots of them
are actually trivial (either list or direction keys). I was under the
impression that writing the keymap twice (for the code and for the manual)
was part of the pain too.