Subject: Re: AMSv2 USB

Re: AMSv2 USB

From: Torne Wuff <torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:30:11 +0000

On 26 February 2012 22:53, Mike Giacomelli <giac2000_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think the underlying problem is that people expect USB to work and we
> don't make it clear to them that it does not work yet on all targets.  I
> think the best solution to this problem would be to display a warning
> whenever a user installs a build that does not have USB support that reminds
> them of that and links to the manual's dual boot section.  I don't see that
> it really matters if the user has to manually turn off the player and then
> plug in USB, or if they have to manually turn off the player, hold left, and
> then insert USB.  If we've informed the user about the limitations of the
> build they're installing, the end result will be the same.  If we haven't,
> we're still depending on them to either figure it out themselves.

I absolutely agree; while *our* definition of unstable includes "is
missing USB support", the consistent surprise users demonstrate when
they find out is evidence enough that that definition is not obvious
:)

If it looks like it works (i.e. it boots and plays music and so on)
then people will expect USB to work because that's a core feature of
the device to a user.

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk