Subject: Re: AMSv2 USB

From: Torne Wuff <>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:30:11 +0000

On 26 February 2012 22:53, Mike Giacomelli <> wrote:
> I think the underlying problem is that people expect USB to work and we
> don't make it clear to them that it does not work yet on all targets.  I
> think the best solution to this problem would be to display a warning
> whenever a user installs a build that does not have USB support that reminds
> them of that and links to the manual's dual boot section.  I don't see that
> it really matters if the user has to manually turn off the player and then
> plug in USB, or if they have to manually turn off the player, hold left, and
> then insert USB.  If we've informed the user about the limitations of the
> build they're installing, the end result will be the same.  If we haven't,
> we're still depending on them to either figure it out themselves.

I absolutely agree; while *our* definition of unstable includes "is
missing USB support", the consistent surprise users demonstrate when
they find out is evidence enough that that definition is not obvious

If it looks like it works (i.e. it boots and plays music and so on)
then people will expect USB to work because that's a core feature of
the device to a user.

Torne Wuff