Subject: Re: Default compilation with -g?

Re: Default compilation with -g?

From: RafaŽl Carrť <>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:34:01 -0400

Le 29/05/2012 12:20, Bertrik Sikken a ťcrit :
> Hi all,
> While debugging a problem using our shiny new ARM backtrace feature,
> I noticed that by default, we're not building with -g (= include
> debugging information in the binary). This means that with the
> default build, I can't get the source code line from the backtrace
> addresses (with arm-elf-eabi-addr2line)
> How about enabling option -g by default?
> I don't think it adds anything to the binary that runs on the
> targets, but perhaps a bit to the intermediate results on the
> build clients.
> With kind regards,
> Bertrik

I made a comparison with and without -g (with ccache disabled for that

rockbox.sansa is identical in both cases

Without -g:

make -j8 293,60s user 17,61s system 690% cpu 45,075 total
$ du -chs .
34M .

With -g:
make -j8 321,22s user 19,88s system 688% cpu 49,556 total
$ du -chs .
99M .

I think it's a good idea.

If disk usage increase on the clients is too much we can add a configure
option to remove -g.

Like --debug --no-debug, defaults to --debug.