Subject: Re: Pre-release testing framework

Re: Pre-release testing framework

From: Nils Wallménius <nils.wallmenius_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 23:12:22 +0200

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be> wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 08:48:42PM +0200, Lorenzo Miori wrote:
>> Yes. Atomic tests. Not just saying playback, you're right, it's too wide.
>
> Yes, but that wasn't really my point :) What I mean is that we should
> have a *small* basic test suite (which, yes, consists of clear
> unambiguous and simple tests) that users can go through quickly in a few
> minutes (ok, that's probably overoptimistic). As soon as they're through
> that, we have usable results (not many, but today we have nothing) and
> the user may well go on to the next (also reasonably short) set of less
> basic tests (e.g. "DSP effects", or "bookmarking", or "the demo
> plugins").
>
> Keeping the sets short will avoid people getting discouraged before they
> even get started, both on actual testing and on adding new tests, while
> I don't see any disadvantages.
>
> Of course some tests will take longer ("battery life not worse than in
> previous release", "Zork is fully playable on the frotz plugin", ...)
> think that's a reason not to try to keep the rest short.
>
> Frank
>

> --
> "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
> Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
> by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan

I would suggest focusing on things that are more likely to be broken
for specific targets, like we've seen with playback/radio/recording
while more or less purely sw stuff like dsp or the codecs themselves ,
while of course worthwile to test, would be more likely to be broken
for more targets if they break.

Nils