Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Freeze update/USB issues

Re: Freeze update/USB issues

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:48:42 +0200

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) The Nano2G USB is still disabled. This was the case in 3.11 so not the
> end of the world. Is it possible to make it reboot to disk mode like
> earlier ipods on USB connect?

If we keep the Nano2G out of the release we should at least update the
information provided by the build server to announce 3.10 as release
for it, so Rockbox Utility does have a stable build to offer. Not
everyone might like being forced to either install a development build
or having to install manually. The build server already provides a
version number for each player that has a release so making it provide
a different number for the Nano2G shouldn't be too hard.

> 2) SansaAMS USB still seems rather unstable from anecdotal evidence. Is
> this bad enough to want to disable it for the release? Can they reboot to
> the OF, would that be wanted?

If we make those reboot to the OF users will get (and get annoyed) by
the OF's database refresh functionality. I'd rather drop them from the
release (and offer 3.11.2 as stable release through the build server).

> 3) This is the big one - http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12743 - it
> seems that depending on what settings are enabled, USB on a number of
> targets triggers/causes data aborts.

I've made some bisecting and found an offending commit. Reverting that
fixes the problem for me, but since I don't know the code touched I
have no idea if this causes other issues. See my comments in the FS
task.

> We can't release like this IMO, so what do people think we should do? Stay
> in freeze, and wait for someone to investigate and fix USB, at least on
> non-Nano2G and non-SansaAMS targets? Branch and then wait for someone to
> fix it while opening up master again? Cancel the release?

Stay in freeze for at least another (i.e. this) week, then consider
again how to proceed. Since git doesn't keep people from committing
even when in freeze it should be less painful than freezes with svn,
plus people can always push their work to some other repository.

 - Dominik
Received on 2012-09-04


Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa