Subject: Re: Rbutil suggestion

Re: Rbutil suggestion

From: Laz Mesa <>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 17:39:01 -0400

On 9/5/12, Dominik Riebeling <> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Laz Mesa <> wrote:
>> I think it would be a good idea and would like to suggest that
>> Microsoft Speech Platform 11 be added to the speech engine choice for
>> generating voice and talk files. There are some high-quality voices
>> available in many languages. Of course this would only be in the
>> Windows version of rbutil.
> What are actually the benefits? Does Windows ship additional voices
> for this? As far as I was able to see up to now it's mostly a new API
> for accessing the TTS. Apart from that I've already posted some
> comments on the previous thread on the Rockbox users mailing list:
> - Dominik
These high-quality voices are absolutely free unlike SAPI5 voices.
There are many voices in many different languages and are small
downloads from Microsoft. I've been using one of these voices, Zira
Pro, on my computer with great results and sounds very comparable to a
SAPI5 voice quality wise. And again, you can't beat the price. You
can see and download the voices as well as the speech engine at