Subject: Re: Rbutil suggestion

Re: Rbutil suggestion

From: Laz Mesa <lazaro6_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 16:59:16 -0400

On 9/8/12, Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Laz Mesa <lazaro6_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27224
>
> I've had a look into it (though I don't consider those voices to be
> "absolutely free" since there are only binary downloads). To my
> surprise it turned out that we can support this Speech Platform thing
> with a rather limited number of changes using the already existing
> sapi_voice.vbs script. This requires some additional changes to
> Rockbox Utility though, but it should be doable in a reasonable amount
> of time. The main problem is to figure how to handle two voice engines
> that actually use the same script in Rockbox Utility.
>

> - Dominik

That would be great Dominik! As with the earlier speech platforms and
SAPI5 voices available from Microsoft, as in Microsoft Sam, Mary,
Mike, and Ana, I would think that these voices wouldn't have any other
restrictions above what the previously noted platforms or SAPI5 voices
from Microsoft had. The free text to speech program, Balabolka, now
uses these newer voices as well as SAPI4 and 5 to generate audio files
from text documents. However, these are much better, as they include
many languages, not just English as with Microsoft Sam, Mike, Mary,
and Ana.

Laz