Subject: Re: Replaygain prevent clipping on by default

Re: Replaygain prevent clipping on by default

From: Thomas Martitz <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:14:15 +0200

Am 15.10.2012 22:53, schrieb Alex Parker:
> On 15/10/12 21:48, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> I don't think we should turn it on by default.
>> a) It imposes quite a CPU load on affected files, since it requires more
>> DSP processing (in contrast to just replay gain).
> Well according to Torne it is essentially free
> (,38781.msg207084.html#msg207084)
> So who is right?

He's probably right, since he looked at the code more recently. In my
memory didn't use tags but dsp-processed the songs but I may be wrong. I
also didn't know about these tags.

>> b) Also, I think it may alter the sound (even if it only affects volume)
>> too much in certain cases. Especially on albums the songs may become
>> unequally load (because the clipping protection turns down some songs
>> more than others).
> If we are going to not alter sound at all by default shouldn't we not
> turn on replaygain by default? And if we are going to turn on
> replaygain by default on the assumption that if people have tagged
> their files they want to use it that they will want to use all the
> capabilities?

I said "alter too much", e.g. the case where the loudness of an album
becomes irregular.

I have replay gain tags because I want to use replay gain. I want a
similar loudness throughout my music, and I'm not worried about clipping
(I never heard it with my music). So I specifically don't want to use
all capabilities.

And clipping prevention is not without problems. A whole song might get
drastically turned down because of a single spike. That would be hugely
unpleasant for me.

>> c) People (including me) may prefer to risk some slight clipping over
>> unequal loudness throughout albums, especially since it comes with a
>> battery life cost. But then I haven't really heard clipping in my
>> collection. Anyway, I have turned it off and would explicitly do this if
>> it becomes default.
> Not an argument for or against, just a personal preference.

Sure. Most defaults are a result of personal preference (most often the
personal preference of the majority). And it's my personal preference to
keep the default at off.

I would think the guy in the forum is in a minority. Sure, we don't have
numbers but I follow the reasoning of Dominik.

Best regards.