Subject: Re: Deprecate Cygwin

Re: Deprecate Cygwin

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 07:39:25 +0100

Am 29.10.2012 20:45, schrieb Dominik Riebeling:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Jens Arnold<> wrote:
>> There's one thing Cygwin is still good for: bulding voices using SAPI. You
>> can't do that in a linux VM. Afaik even this is slightly broken atm though.
> You can do this using Rockbox Utility. Of course this is a GUI
> program, if you want to have a command line solution this doesn't
> work. It shouldn't be too hard to create a standalone CLI tool for
> that using the TTS code in Rockbox Utility though, so I don't see a
> real loss of functionality here.

The main reason why I can't use rbutil here isn't that it's a GUI
application, but that rbutil doesn't handle more than one target easily
(did this change recently?).

When I'm updating targets, I'm running a shell script that calls 'make
voice' for 34 different build directories:
Female German and English voices for 14 targets, and male German and
English voices for 3 targets. How could I handle this using rbutil?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Jens Arnold