Subject: Re: horrible hack to get remote control accessory to work

Re: horrible hack to get remote control accessory to work

From: Andrei Purdea <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:14:43 +0200

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Jonas Wielicki
<> wrote:
> Applying your patch would make the remote useless for anything beyond
> playback control, which is not what I expect it to do. Just my two
> cents, as said, I'm not a dev.

Actually, If you look at most ipod remotes over at ebay, some of them have
menu, scroll, and enter buttons, in addition to
the play/pause, volume+-, and next/prev buttons (and others too).
Here's a remote that has separate navigation buttons too:

Mine has only 5 buttons, but I just found out that it has a playback,
and a navigation mode, and I can switch to navigation mode
by holding down the right, and volumedown buttons at the same time for
2 seconds.
(this is mine:

And the original ipod firmware works as expected: In playback mode
I can only control the music playback, even if some other menu is open.

If I switch to navigation mode, then i'm controlling the currently shown menu.

Rockbox seems to completely ignore the navigation mode.
I'm guessing my remote is probably using the last 4 codes from this list:
But I haven't checked yet.

I think rockbox should work just like the original firmware in this respect,
and that means fixing the navigation mode (or navigation keys for
many-key remotes)
and forcing the playback control keys to only control playback and nothing else.

How many buttons do the iriver remotes have?
Could they benefit from a configuration option that allows the user
to force playback controls only for the remote?