Subject: Re: GSoC 2013

Re: GSoC 2013

From: Amaury Pouly <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:16:19 +0100

2013/2/13 Austin Appel <scorche15_at_gmail.com>

> So, I guess I will make this short: do we want to make the push to do GSoC
> again this year or not?
>
> See this email for the longer version of this email (minus the "decided
> not to apply bit...): http://www.rockbox.org/mail/**
> archive/rockbox-dev-archive-**2012-03/0023.shtml<http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-dev-archive-2012-03/0023.shtml>

It seems no one really answered to the call but I would like to suggest two
projects which I can mentor. Please feel free to give some feedback on
whether your think it is appropriate/interesting/you want to mentor it too.

----
The project is about USB audio. As you know there is a specification for
usb sounds cards and the goal would be to have rockbox report itself as a
soundcard (on devices capable of such a thing of course). Here is a short
list of the possibilities it would bring:
- "playback" card which supports all the audio hardware rates and possibly
speakers on devices which have one
- "recording" card which can stream from microphone and/or line-in and/or
radio, with controls to tweaks radio frequency if possible
- even full-duplex if available
---
Another project would be to finish USB MTP which I began but never
finished. The current state is that it is (mostly) working but since then
the MTP spec was enhanced and a few android-specific (and interesting)
extension have been developped and we still lack integration with the
database.
---
Remark: in both cases, I have written some code for it already but in the
case of usb audio, some of it needs to be rewritten and in the case of mtp,
it needs a hell of testing (with windows especially). In both cases, the
students will face a great amount of work because he/she will need to
understand usb and a usb specification and the rockbox code, not to mention
the inherent issues such as debugging a usb protocol.
What do you think ?