Subject: Re: GSoC 2013

Re: GSoC 2013

From: Thomas Martitz <kugel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:55:17 +0100

Am 19.03.2013 16:16, schrieb Amaury Pouly:
> 2013/2/13 Austin Appel <scorche15_at_gmail.com <mailto:scorche15_at_gmail.com>>
>
> So, I guess I will make this short: do we want to make the push to
> do GSoC again this year or not?
>
> See this email for the longer version of this email (minus the
> "decided not to apply bit...):
> http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-dev-archive-2012-03/0023.shtml
>

> It seems no one really answered to the call but I would like to
> suggest two projects which I can mentor. Please feel free to give some
> feedback on whether your think it is appropriate/interesting/you want
> to mentor it too.
>
> ----
> The project is about USB audio. As you know there is a specification
> for usb sounds cards and the goal would be to have rockbox report
> itself as a soundcard (on devices capable of such a thing of course).
> Here is a short list of the possibilities it would bring:
> - "playback" card which supports all the audio hardware rates and
> possibly speakers on devices which have one
> - "recording" card which can stream from microphone and/or line-in
> and/or radio, with controls to tweaks radio frequency if possible
> - even full-duplex if available
>
> ---
> Another project would be to finish USB MTP which I began but never
> finished. The current state is that it is (mostly) working but since
> then the MTP spec was enhanced and a few android-specific (and
> interesting) extension have been developped and we still lack
> integration with the database.
>
> ---
> Remark: in both cases, I have written some code for it already but in
> the case of usb audio, some of it needs to be rewritten and in the
> case of mtp, it needs a hell of testing (with windows especially). In
> both cases, the students will face a great amount of work because
> he/she will need to understand usb and a usb specification and the
> rockbox code, not to mention the inherent issues such as debugging a
> usb protocol.
>
> What do you think ?

Sounds like nice projects. This and the ones I mentioned sound pretty
solid already to warrant applying IMO.

The next question is if we can get mentors and enthusiasm for GsoC. I
could mentor but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to have enough time (I also
don't know how much time is needed). But I like to help Rockbox if I can :)

Best regards.