Subject: Re: review to show only the chosen file's bookmarks

Re: review to show only the chosen file's bookmarks

From: Richard Quirk <>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:36:10 +0200

On 4/21/13, Magnus Holmgren <> wrote:
> It shows bookmarks for all tracks in the directory, because the bookmarks
> are created for the implicit playlist for that directory.

That makes sense opening the bookmark file for a directory, but for
opening an individual file it seems odd.

The impression I got was that the list of bookmarks is not filtered by
the chosen file because it is easier to just show everything, rather
than being done that way on purpose.

> While the change works well for that use case, I'm not sure if the change
> is right for all use cases. If you have a directory bookmark for an album
> or a book (with lots of small files), then only listing the bookmarks for
> the current file would be a bit limiting, perhaps even confusing.

Yeah, if you want to see the bookmarks for all files in a directory,
you can open the directory's bookmark file. That feature doesn't
change here.

I think it is confusing to open the file aaa.mp3, and then see
bookmarks for bbb.mp3, etc. That's the only behaviour the patch

> Personally, I wouldn't call changing the bookmark screen like that (if I
> understood the change correctly) less controversial than adding a new menu
> entry (or setting). :)

My thinking was that adding a new menu entries affects everyone using
the menu. Changing the way the "ask" bookmark menu works only affects
you if you use this feature.