Subject: Re: review to show only the chosen file's bookmarks

Re: review to show only the chosen file's bookmarks

From: Magnus Holmgren <magnushol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:43:16 +0200

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Richard Quirk <richard.quirk_at_gmail.com>wrote:

That makes sense opening the bookmark file for a directory, but for
> opening an individual file it seems odd.

Actually, I hardly ever open a bookmark file, other than for testing
purposes. :)

The impression I got was that the list of bookmarks is not filtered by
> the chosen file because it is easier to just show everything, rather
> than being done that way on purpose.

Possibly. It's been like that since the start (9+ years)...

Yeah, if you want to see the bookmarks for all files in a directory,
> you can open the directory's bookmark file. That feature doesn't
> change here.

Those files are only visible if you have set the show files setting to
supported or all. And since they aren't necessarily shown next to the
directory, they can be easy to overlook.

I think it is confusing to open the file aaa.mp3, and then see
> bookmarks for bbb.mp3, etc. That's the only behaviour the patch
> changes.

That would be a pretty big change for me.

My thinking was that adding a new menu entries affects everyone using
> the menu. Changing the way the "ask" bookmark menu works only affects
> you if you use this feature.

It would affect me negatively, at least. And I guess I wouldn't be alone...
However, an extra bookmarking autoload option wouldn't affect users of the
menu, and would allow you to tweak the bookmark selection list behavior to
match your bookmarking usage.

--
  Magnus