Subject: Handling of read-only storage: feeback wanted

Handling of read-only storage: feeback wanted

From: Amaury Pouly <>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:22:51 +0200

Hi ,
I'm looking for some feedback on an issue which might not be one: read-only
storage. It appears that since virtually all DAP use micro-sd card we never
ran into this problem but I am porting Rockbox to the Creative ZEN and ZEN
X-Fi which feature a real SD card port and can sense the write-protected
switch of them.
The obvious solution is to completely ignore it of course but this is a bit
of shame. Another option is to simply fail all writes to the storage if it
is write protected (remember that this is completely software handled).
I am wondering if there would be any interest in doing something a bit more
clever, like making the file system code aware of read-only storage.
Indeed, failing all writes will potentially stress all write path, might
trigger bugs or obscure error messages to the user. A simple solution would
be to prevent opening opening a file for writing for example.

Any thoughts ?

Amaury Pouly