Subject: Re: Volume handling: steps and radio

Re: Volume handling: steps and radio

From: Bertrik Sikken <bertrik_at_sikken.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 22:09:47 +0200

On 19-7-2013 11:35, Amaury Pouly wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to bring back some thought on the volume handling and the
> radio.
> 2) Handling of radio volume
>
> This is nothing new but very annoying: some targets have limited
> amplifying range when routing from radio. It appears that for some chips
> like SI4700, the default volume of the chip is very high and thus the
> SoC amplifier cannot attenuate the volume sufficiently, resulting in the
> overall volume to be very high. Example (value might be wrong): SI4700
> configured with 20dB amp, imx233 amp configured at -58dB result in max
> attenuation of -30dB !
>
> I think the proper way to do this is to enhance the radio interface with
> a volume setting. Indeed most radio tuners have a volume setting. We
> could basically need to following attributes:
> - volume (set/get)
> - volume steps (get) [not sure it's needed]
> - min/max (get)

Sounds like a good idea to me.

This would also make radio easier to use for voice-users.
Audio playback is normally attenuated to allow the voice to be heard
(as I understand it). This is currently not the case for radio, making
it basically impossible to use radio with voice.

Some tuners allow quite fine-grained volume, others allow only very
crude steps.

Kind regards,
Bertrik