Subject: Ladies and gentlemen, we have sound on the Sony NWZ-E370

Ladies and gentlemen, we have sound on the Sony NWZ-E370

From: Amaury Pouly <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 00:31:17 +0200

I'm pleased to announced that Rockbox successfully played its first track
on the Sony NWZ-E373:
Drumland - Gothic Harmony

This was a very very quick port: I started the work two days ago and it's
already mostly done. It leverages all the infrastrure of the imx233
codebase which made it very very easy. The port will support the NWZ-E370
series (E373, E374 and E375) and is already in good shape: lcd is working,
backlight too but needs some little more work, internal storage too,
buttons. Only FM tuner is missing: it uses the infamous STFM1000 which
support is still incomplete currently.
There is quite a downside to this port though: Sony provides no firmware
upgrade for this player so any install method would have to extract it from
the device using custom SCSI commands. It isn't too hard but that means
adding SCSI support to Rockbox Utility, which we will need anyway to handle
the Creative ZEN X-Fi2.

I plan to do the same for the Sony NWZ-E360 which looks overwhelmingly
similar. Then I'll go back to the Creative ZEN hacking which also require
to integrate MTP into Rockbox Utility, that's all very boring stuff but
needs to be done.

Cheers

Amaury Pouly