Subject: Re: modifying Rockbox for disabled child

Re: modifying Rockbox for disabled child

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:40:52 +0200

Hi,

I there are some things you can do that should fix or work around some
of the issues you're having. I'll detail

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 03:10:16PM +0000, Gay S wrote:
> It has been suggested when I've posted in the forum that there might be a way to remove "delete" as an option on the player. I've tried making things "read only" but that doesn't keep them from being deleted.

This is going to be the tricky one. I don't think there is a way to do
this without changing the source code. It should be an easy modification
though, and I could probably send you a build with this change.

Are you currently using 3.13?

> He needs a volume limiter (he is deaf in one ear, so protecting the hearing in his one good ear is critical).

We don't have a volume limiter *as such*, but what is commonly suggested
for this is enabling the equaliser and then setting a pre-cut value. See
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipzip/rockbox-buildch6.html#x9-1100006.8
for details. Pre-cut is meant to be able to lower the general volume to
avoid distortion when you then amplify parts of it (e.g. to boost bass),
but it works equally well if you then leave the rest of the EQ alone.

> It would also be helpful if he could not get into (or not change) the settings. Without these things that tempt him and then become huge sources of upset when he messes them up, he could just enjoy listening to his music.

For the settings menu, you can disable it by using the "root menu order"
setting. This isn't available from the settings menu itself but requires
editing the configuration file itself from your computer. The
configuration file is .rockbox/config.cfg
See http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipzip/rockbox-buildch13.html#x16-31500013.1.1
for details. You probably want that to be "bookmarks,files,database,wps,recording,radio,playlists,plugins,system_menu,shortcuts",
although I imagine you might want to disable a few more while you're at
it (maybe the System menu?).

> Is there someone who would be willing to modify a player for him? I could order a new Zip and have it sent to you. I would be happy to pay for your services. We are in Charlottesville, VA if there is someone in the area.

There shouldn't be any need to send someone a player. Something like
disabling the "delete" option in the context menu is easy to test, even
without having the exact same type of player. This assumes you can
install a new build yourself though, but that's really just unpacking a
zip file in the right place.

Frank