Subject: Re: HD/SSD for iAudio X5L/iRiver H340

Re: HD/SSD for iAudio X5L/iRiver H340

From: Jonas Wielicki <j.wielicki_at_sotecware.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:30:05 +0200

Hello Aura,

> So now my iAudio X5L's HD got broken and I would like to replace it
> with an SSD, if possible. Does anyone know about any news related to
> this post? I also have a iRiver H340 so I'm also interested about its
> status.
>
> If it is very unlikely that these issues have been resolved, or if it
> is likely that some new issues will arise, I will resort to an old
> HD. This is because I'm blind which makes debugging these problems
> somewhat hard.

There definetly are news. A few weeks later, I posted on rockbox-dev
about the patch I wrote to circumvent *most* of the issues on my device
(see
<http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-dev-archive-2012-08/0000.shtml>).

It is still far from perfect, but for me it is usable. Unfortunately,
however, that the patch never made it into rockbox master, because there
was noone to review and test it properly. It was probably never tested
outside of my h320 with the SSD I bought. It still has some rare
freezes, but increases usability a lot.

> Does anyone know, if old IDE HD's can still be found somewhere?

These are very hard to find. Back in 2012, there were still some chinese
vendors on ebay, you might have luck there. Also, there are some hacks
around using CompactFlash cards instead of HDDs, but I’m not sure if
these will have similar problems like I had with the SSD.

As an additional note, its also possible that the SSD is simply broken.

Good luck with finding a suitable way,
Jonas Wielicki