Subject: Re: Sleep (After Backlight Off) option

Re: Sleep (After Backlight Off) option

From: Boris Gjenero via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 12:21:21 -0400

On 21 May 2015 at 07:08, Udo Schläpfer <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> On 21.05.2015 06:11, Boris Gjenero via rockbox-dev wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> BTW. I just notice one way to cause a problem: if I turn off the
>> backlight, I can't turn on the LCD by touching the controls. So, if I
>> wanted the backlight to stay off and the LCD to come on when I use the
>> controls and shut off after a specific time, I can't do that. I never
>> wanted to do this because it would be a problem in the dark.
>

> Could you pls clearify this:
> - What does turn off the backlight mean? Backlight allways off per setting? Or backlight off per timeout?
> - You can not turn on the LCD with a button press?
>
> LCD (touchscreen) and backlight a linked. Both are turned on by a user action. AFAIK the device independent code does not consider independent handling of backlight and LCD (touchscreen).
>
> Thats one reason the iBasso devices have these "hold switch" and "modern user interface" patches floating around.

This was on 5G iPod. Go into LCD Settings. Ensure "Sleep (After
Backlight Off)" has a timeout and set Backlight to Off. Wait for LCD
to shut off. Now you can't turn on the LCD! That is the problem.

The device-independent code should probably directly turn on both the
LCD and backlight, according to settings. So, if backlight is off but
the LCD has a timeout, the it should only turn on the LCD. This is not
a feature I ever plan to use though because without the backlight the
device becomes unusable in the dark.