Subject: Re: iRiver H300 bootloader once more

Re: iRiver H300 bootloader once more

From: XavierGr via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:46:37 +0100

Hello Aura,

I have understood, that the H300 boot loader is currently broken, and
> flashing it will brick the device, am I right?

This is what I remember but it might not be true: Someone tried to flash a
newer bootloader and at the time it bricked his device. People then only
trusted a working version of the bootloader from specific commits. Newer
bootloaders might or might not work, but unless you have specific hardware
to reflash your device you shouldn't risk it.

> In order to install the boot loader, I need an original firmware file for
> the
> iRiver, which is currently very hard to find. I found an 1.29EU version,
> which
> is not the newest that has been released (which is 1.30 or 1.31). Does
> anyone
> have the newest firmware released by iRiver folks?

Wow, so the official firmware files for H300s are now in oblivion?

> The newest official release of the rockbox boot loader is very old and it
> has
> some issues: no charging and no RTC alarm. These have been implemented in
> SVN
> (nowadays git) and XavierGr said some seven years ago that SVN revision
> r12547
> has a working bootloader.
>
> However, I'm very afraid of trying to build it and merge it with an old
> iRiver
> firmware file. I don't know if the iRiver build's tool chain has been
> updated,
> etc.
>
> XavierGr had a working firmware image merged with 1.31K iRiver firmware,
> but I
> don't know if he is around any more.
>
> But if someone has a working firmware image file, I would be very glad to
> hear
> about it.
>
> Otherwise I would like to have some guidance on building my own boot
> loader.
>
> Thank you for reading this, and for any help you may be able to provide!

Indeed it has been years since I last touched the bootloader part of
Rockbox, and I am afraid that my memory of this activity back then, is even
more faded.

In any case I looked at my archive and one of my H300 units that I have
with me and I found the following. In my Rockbox firmware archive folder I
have two patched H300 files named "H300 charging & usb boot button
enabled.hex" and "H300 r14945 and patch -
1e76f7ef071117b942555964300f8572.hex". If I remember correctly the first
one is about enabling USB charging at the bootloader level, the second one
I actually don't remember what "patch" is referring to (the hex number at
the end is an md5 checksum). In my H300 unit I probably (again I am not
100% sure) have the second file flashed, and from what I see the unit is
running the 1.31K iRiver firmware.

I can provide you the files, and although I believe they will work, it has
been ages since I last tackled with these issues so I cannot guarantee that
your device won't be bricked. On H100, Rockbox provides a plugin to dump
the flashed firmware, unfortunately I think this is not the case for H300,
otherwise I could dump the firmware from my unit so that you can be sure
that it won't brick your device.

Regards.