Rockbox

Tasklist

FS#7697 - Chinese translations for rockbox utility

Attached to Project: Rockbox
Opened by Xinlu Huang (polygonal) - Sunday, 02 September 2007, 19:40 GMT
Last edited by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Friday, 14 September 2007, 14:52 GMT
Task Type Patches
Category Language
Status Closed
Assigned To No-one
Operating System All players
Severity Low
Priority Normal
Reported Version Daily build (which?)
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 0
Private No

Details

chinese simp and trad translation and a patch (should patch at the rbutil folder) that adds the translations. I put "zh" for both in the xml file, but I don't know how rbutil finds out what the language names are, and I don't know if there is a separate code for chinese simp and trad, AND I don't have the tools to build rbutil. So the point is, the patch (not the translations themselves, obviously) probably needs more work but I don't know where or how.
This task depends upon

Closed by  Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother)
Friday, 14 September 2007, 14:52 GMT
Reason for closing:  Accepted
Comment by Jonas Häggqvist (rasher) - Sunday, 02 September 2007, 20:22 GMT
I believe simple Chinese is labeled zh_CN and traditional is labeled zh_TW, though I'm not completely positive.

See for example:
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-zh_tw
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-zh_cn
Comment by Xinlu Huang (polygonal) - Monday, 03 September 2007, 04:29 GMT
Okay, fixed a bunch of my stupidities ;)
The untranslated (and in French! now you see where I copied from) strings should be translated now.
The error in trad file should be fixed - the converter I used seems to eat up ampersands into real ampersands, which caused the error.

Thanks bruebrother for pointing these out in the IRC.
Comment by Xinlu Huang (polygonal) - Monday, 03 September 2007, 04:40 GMT
More oops... now the trad file should not give error on the very first line ;) and also spotted two more untranslated strings (I admit I'm not a very careful person...)
Comment by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Monday, 03 September 2007, 14:46 GMT
I tried the translations and found some issues:
- there are still some french parts. No big thing though, but usually you should start using the Qt tools so that untranslated strings stay untranslated. If you need a new, blank file for translation I can create you one easily. This also ensures that you'll always have the recent strings contained. I put a short guide for translating to the wiki.
- (this is the main issue but solved in rbutil now) both languages have the same display name, i.e. they both translate "English" to the same string. Therefore only one will be available as the 2nd will overwrite the first in the selection list. I added "(Chinese Tradidional)" / "(Chinese Simplified)" at the end of the translation. That way it worked fine -- and I'm thinking it would be good to have an english hint of the real language for the cases when fonts are missing (or someone who isn't capable of reading the language looks at the selection -- it's kinda nice to see we already have a chinese translation ;-) I also extended the current language selection in rbutil afterwards to use the language string (i.e. something like "zn_TW") for distinguishing so this problem is kinda solved.
Comment by Xinlu Huang (polygonal) - Monday, 03 September 2007, 15:48 GMT
fixes... ;)

Loading...