FS#10607 - Support for the PCF50635HN in newer Cowon D2+ Devices
Opened by Johannes Ziemke (fish) - Tuesday, 15 September 2009, 10:28 GMT
Last edited by MichaelGiacomelli (saratoga) - Wednesday, 16 September 2009, 17:07 GMT
I open this bug to track the issue described in:
Hope this will help you and save some work, because I would love to see the new D2 Devices supported (Because imo the original UI really, really sucks).
So here we go:
Ok, I spent a couple of hours looking into this today and it looks like some new D2+ units have an entirely different power management chip, instead of the PCF50606 used by older D2+'s and the 'classic' D2.
Looking at firmware 4.11+ (since that is what I use on my player) it shows some interesting changes almost straight away:
- Follow the branch at 0x200000F8 (LDR PC,=0x20009BD4)
- In older firmwares, the first call in this routine starts writing to the PCF50606 almost immediately (using I2C slave address 0x10)
- In 4.11, this now tests the value of GPIOA6 (used for backlight control on older D2s) and stores a flag depending on its value
- Depending on this flag, the next routine (at 0x200722E4) either calls the PCF50606 init routine (0x200BD1C8) or another init routine (0x200BDBE8)
- The new init routine makes numerous I2C writes to slave address 0xE6, with completely different register addresses to the PCF chip.
Similarly, the backlight control routine (0x20072320) checks this flag, and calls either the PCF routine (0x200BD5C4) or a new one (0x200BE19C). To control the backlight brightness, this new routine writes registers 0x28 and 0x29 to I2C address 0xE6.
I don't know what this new chip is - anyone fancy opening their D2+ to find out? Although having said that, this disassembly should give us enough information to get Rockbox working eventually... it's just that I won't be around for the next couple of weeks to look into it.
I crack open my 3-day D2+. Unfortunately I break the device's mic somehow.
I don't know where is the LCD controller chip. here lists most chips I can find on the main board.
PCF50635HN (Is this one different from original?)
Samsung 919 (8G)
Samsung 840 K4M56323P I
The LCD screen have some text like this: ATOUCH A025 3DE4
Well that's (PCF50635HN) certainly different, but I can't find a datasheet to check any details. All the references suggest it's a smaller verison of the PCF50607, for which I can't find any details either. I guess I'll have to do some more investigative work when I get back from my holidays...
Also after massive searches, I also cannot find a datasheet of PCF506035 or PCF50607. Even the only datasheet of PCF50606 is from rockbox website. I will try to mail NXP semiconducts for the datasheet.
I will try to update this task with additional infos asap. First I try to reach helloworld1 to see if he successes in getting his hands on the datasheet.
Wednesday, 16 September 2009, 17:07 GMT
Reason for closing: Invalid