Rockbox

Tasklist

FS#5721 - The \\setting{} keyword generates bad/heavy html code

Attached to Project: Rockbox
Opened by Hristo Kovachev (bger) - Wednesday, 26 July 2006, 07:36 GMT
Last edited by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Monday, 01 December 2008, 21:23 GMT
Task Type Bugs
Category Manual
Status Closed
Assigned To No-one
Operating System All players
Severity Low
Priority Normal
Reported Version
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 0
Private No

Details

just an example: The following string (taken from rockbox_interface/main.tex)

"Rockbox lets you browse your music in either of two ways. The
\\setting{File Browser} lets you navigate through <...>"

in the H300 html manual looks like

"<p class="indent"> Rockbox lets you browse your music in either of two ways. The <span
class="pplrc7t-x-x-109">F<span
class="small-caps">i</span><span
class="small-caps">l</span><span
class="small-caps">e</span> B<span
class="small-caps">r</span><span
class="small-caps">o</span><span
class="small-caps">w</span><span
class="small-caps">s</span><span
class="small-caps">e</span><span
class="small-caps">r</span> </span>lets you
navigate through <...>"

Also, i didn't dig into how the credits list is generated, but there every single character of the developers' names is surrounded by <span..></span> (just look at the source of http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-h300/rockbox-buildap7.html#x16-204000G ) This gives about 3100 <span></span> tags ...
This task depends upon

Closed by  Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother)
Monday, 01 December 2008, 21:23 GMT
Reason for closing:  Fixed
Additional comments about closing:  now using the soul package for small caps in html output which addresses this issue.
Comment by Dominik Riebeling (bluebrother) - Wednesday, 26 July 2006, 07:45 GMT
This also applies to the credits list.

I haven't found time to look into this further but it definitely is caused by the usage of \\textsc, not the setting macro itself (the setting macro simply uses textsc to display the text). A quick fix would be to use a different font style than textsc on the html output. I'll dig into it when my free time increases again.

Also, as far as I tested the resulting code validates against validator.w3.org, so this shouldn't cause any serious trouble (except from a heavier load for the browser when rendering).
Comment by Hristo Kovachev (bger) - Wednesday, 26 July 2006, 07:50 GMT
Yep, the problem is just the heavier load ... Try to load the credits page in Firefox on Duron @ 1300MHz :)

Loading...