Rockbox Developer Conference - West Edition! 2009
Date and Location
- DevConWest will take place in New York City on 21-23 August 2009. We have a meeting space kindly provided by Pilosoft Inc..
The address is 55 Broad Street, Level C, New York, NY 10004. Googlemaps link: here
. Nearest train stops are Broad St on the J line, Wall St on the 4 and 5 lines, and Wall St on the 2 and 3 lines.
- Developers / Staff
- Non-Staff / Users
- Since we can code and IRC at home, too, we should focus on helpful group activities.
- arrival of the "international" participants, get to know the people, learn the names, have a beer (or a few)
- setup web camera(s) and gathering room
- build towers of Rockbox
- code, chat, and meetings
- pay a visit to Puck Fair, the traditional hangout of New York Rockboxers
- code, chat and meetings
- departure of international participants
- cleanup the place
Ideas for discussion:
- The menu reordering... I reckon with enough of us there we could actually come up with something workable/agreeable?
- depends who's there and how keen everyone is... playback....
- Add some ideas!
Ideas for hacking:
- Look at the Gigabeat T firmware again and see if there is indeed a digital signature exploit... with any luck, we'll have a port in no time!
- Investigate the possibility of compiling Rockbox as an app to run on devices where firmware replacement is not feasible (e.g. iPhone and iPod Touch) -- RobertMenes has Xcode and the iPhone SDK on his Mac and wouldn't mind trying this out with a little assistance.
- Add some ideas!
Bring your own laptop and charged DAPs of choice. Pilosoft is an ISP and data center, so there will be wireless networking (and if needed, wired). We have access to power strips and some tools.
Feel free to add extra things onto this list if you feel it is necessary (such as unported targets/etc)
- Archos Player - RobertMenes
- Archos Recorder v1 - RobertMenes, AustinAppel (x3), JonathanGordon
- Archos Recorder v2
- Archos Recorder FM
- Archos Ondio FM
- Archos Ondio SP
- Archos AV3x0 - AustinAppel
- Gigabeat F - RobertMenes, NickSant, AustinAppel, FrankGevaerts (x2)
- Gigabeat X - MelbaSitjar
- Gigabeat S - RobertMenes, NickSant, JonathanGordon (in pieces though... ), FrankGevaerts
- Gigabeat T - RobertMenes
- Gigabeat V
- iAudio M3
- iAudio M5
- iAudio X5 - FrankGevaerts
- iPod 1st gen
- iPod 2nd gen - RobertMenes, FrankGevaerts
- iPod 3rd gen
- iPod 4th gen Greyscale
- iPod Color/Photo
- iPod mini 1st gen
- iPod mini 2nd gen - JonathanGordon
- iPod nano 1st gen - AustinAppel
- iPod nano 2nd gen - RobertMenes
- iPod nano 3rd gen - RobertMenes
- iPod Video (5th gen) - NickSant, JasonAYu
- iPod Video (5.5th gen) - RobertMenes, JonathanGordon
- iriver H1x0 - (RTC+CF x2) DavideGentile, AustinAppel
- iriver H3x0 - RobertMenes, MelbaSitjar, JonathanGordon, AustinAppel
- iriver H10 5/6GB
- iriver H10 20GB
- Samsung YH-820
- Samsung YH-920
- Samsung YH-925
- Sansa c200 - MelbaSitjar, RobertMenes, AustinAppel, FrankGevaerts
- Sansa e200 - RobertMenes, JonathanGordon, NickSant, DavideGentile, AustinAppel, FrankGevaerts
- Sansa e200R - AustinAppel
- Sansa e200v2 - JonathanGordon
- Sansa Clip - RobertMenes, JonathanGordon, AustinAppel (x3)
- Sansa Clipv2
- Sansa Fuze
- Sansa Fuzev2
- Sansa m200 - RobertMenes (HARP version), AustinAppel
- Sansa m200v4 - AustinAppel
- m:robe 100 - RobertMenes
- m:robe 500 - JonathanGordon, FrankGevaerts
- Zen Vision:M
- Logik DAX - FrankGevaerts
- Meizu M6SP - FrankGevaerts
- Meizu M6SL - FrankGevaerts
- Meizu M3
- Cowon D2 - FrankGevaerts
- GoGear HDD1630 - RobertMenes
- GoGear HDD6330
- GoGear SA9200 - RobertMenes
- LED Pig - RobertMenes, MelbaSitjar, JonathanGordon, NickSant, AustinAppel, FrankGevaerts
- Decent camera(s) for posterity - RobertMenes has a Canon PowerShot A560 that he'll bring along. NickSant will bring his Canon PowerShot camera (unsure of exact model number). AustinAppel has a Nikon D90. FrankGevaerts has a Canon EOS350 and a Canon PowerShot A720
- Webcam for live feed - JonathanGordon will bring his Microsoft LifeCam... no idea how it works on anything other than windows though; RobertMenes will ask if someone in Pilosoft can lend him one.
- Basic tools, paperclips, soldering tools... RobertMenes can bring iPod opening tools, screwdriver sets, a soldering iron, and some more. Pilosoft can supply power strips, network cables, and additional tools.
- Anything else spring to mind? RobertMenes is bringing his Colossal MP3 Player for laughs.
Beer ('n' Pizza)
- Plenty to be had. RobertMenes will bring Chimay and some good craft beers, along with Brooklyn Brewery ales. Some proud NYC pizza will be delivered for Saturday lunch.
How to get there
- We have to figure out where we're staying, but there are three major airports that serve New York City: Newark (EWK), LaGuardia (LGA), and JFK Airport (JFK).
- RobertMenes, MelbaSitjar, NickSant, DavideGentile, and JasonAYu all live in (or near) New York, so feel free to ask them.
- Mostly English speaking, except for a few bodegas.
- The US Dollar. There are a few currency exchange places, especially downtown, for our foreign friends.
Getting to know the New York Subway
- The New York Subway is daunting, but not so bad once you learn the routes. A handy-dandy map is here.
- Train fares are $2.25 per single ride, but there are options for Unlimited Rides. All stations have MetroCard dispensers if you need to buy one.
Hotels and Room Sharing
- The necessary rooms were booked at Hotel Reserve, which is about 5 minutes walk from the meeting space. Possibly 15 minutes staggering distance, which we'll no doubt test. Google Maps link is here.
- We have one room with a single bed, and one room with two beds. RobertMenes and MelbaSitjar have their own room as well.
- Plenty to do in New York City.
- Hey, nothing happened yet!
Copyright © by the contributing authors.