Linux on the iPod
Yes, they made Linux run on the iPod: http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/
. The Rockbox iPod port uses pieces of the iPodLinux source code and would most likely not exist without it.
The Differences between iPodLinux and Rockbox
- Rockbox means to be a full stand-alone firmware replacement. iPodLinux is Linux on the iPod with a music player (Podzilla) that plays music.
- Rockbox has its own operating system (kernel), iPodLinux uses the Linux kernel.
- Rockbox is smaller and faster than iPodLinux, but iPodLinux very well known, very well tested and offers a multitude of more services and features.
- Rockbox works on a larger variety of portable music players.
- Rockbox seems to have more active developers.
- Rockbox started before iPodLinux.
Copyright © by the contributing authors.