Release Notes for Rockbox 3.2
__________ __ ___.
Open \______ \ ____ ____ | | _\_ |__ _______ ___
Source | _// _ \_/ ___\| |/ /| __ \ / _ \ \/ /
Jukebox | | ( <_> ) \___| < | \_\ ( <_> > < <
Firmware |____|_ /\____/ \___ >__|_ \|___ /\____/__/\_ \
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Rockbox 3.2 was released on March 23rd 2009.
The Rockbox project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Rockbox 3.2. Since the last release we've added preliminary support for Apple's Ipod Accessory Protocol, which means that many accessories now partly work. We had hoped to have USB support in Rockbox enabled for PortalPlayer
devices (Ipods, Sansas and others), but unfortunately it turned out that it was still not quite stable enough to be of release quality, so while it remains enabled in the current builds it has been disabled in Rockbox 3.2. This new version also brings updates to PictureFlow which now works on most targets, plus much more.
If you can't wait, hurry up to http://www.rockbox.org/download/
and get the release now! If you're curious about what's changed, read on for a quick summary.
Enjoy Rockbox - we enjoy making it.
Rockbox is a complete replacement for the software that drives your digital audio players. It was written from the ground up to provide a better experience than the existing software, giving you more options and putting you in charge of the player. In most areas, Rockbox far surpasses the manufacturers firmware, truly unleashing the full potential of your hardware.
for more details.
Some new things since version 3.1:
- Note that the USB stack is not enabled for the 3.2 release. It's only enabled in current development builds.
- Faster text/graphics rendering on colour targets and in the greyscale library, speeding up list scrolling noticeably on ipod Video.
- LCD sleep/wakeup for iPod Video (5G, 5.5G) which allows significant increase of battery runtime.
- New game, Goban plugin.
- Battery charging on Sansa e200v1/c200v1.
- PictureFlow resizes cover art on load, and supports all targets except the Archos Studio/Jukebox.
- Preliminary support for Ipod accessories.
- New archos flash packages, featuring an optimised, faster bootloader.
- Apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano (not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd gen Nano, Classic or Touch)
- Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
- Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, and M5L
- iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series
- Olympus: M:Robe 100
- SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series (not the v2 models/AMS models)
- Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)
How to upgrade
Using the RockboxUtility
is the easiest way to install Rockbox 3.2. Simply run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you stop/eject/unmount the USB disk before you unplug it. You can also download Rockbox 3.2 from http://www.rockbox.org/download/
If you need more help, or want to use Bootbox to be able to install Rockbox to flash memory on Archos players, see the Documentation section of this document for information on where to find help for doing this.
The database format has changed since 3.1 so the rockbox database must be rebuilt to be usable after the upgrade. The manual has the detailed instructions for doing this. Remember to "export modifications" before rebuilding the database and importing again after the rebuild to keep your runtime data.
Rockbox comes with an extensive manual, which can be found on the downloads page
. Please read it before asking questions in the support channels. The PDF versions can be searched for keywords making it very easy to find the answer to your query or solution to your problem. As well, the FAQs linked on the left side bar can be very helpful and make explain some behavior you are noticing but not expecting. If you notice any errors in the manual, please report them to the tracker after reading the how-to at FlySprayHowto
. If you would like to contribute to the manual, please see the RockboxManual
Since the release of Rockbox 3.1, the following bugs have been fixed.
- FS#6479 - Compressed audio watermark calculation is wrong for high bitrate formats.
- FS#7253 - Dircache goes crazy
- FS#8170 - Screendump function broken, makes usb plug/unplug detection hang
- FS#9236 - latest rockbox build freezes on sansa e200 v1 when connecting usb to pc
- FS#9293 - Rockbox freezes when scrolling with voice enabled.
- FS#9436 - release 3.0 - player froze while just playing and seeking
- FS#9444 - Balance setting not working properly
- FS#9531 - Archos - Shuffle not operating correctly.
- FS#9629 - Next song info not displayed after song skipping
- FS#9662 - Sansa e200: Power (stop) button behaves inconsistent and weird.
- FS#9723 - ALBUM ARTIST tag is not read from MP4 files.
- FS#9782 - Gigabeat F/X: lcd_bitmap_transparent_part does not clip bitmap correctly
- FS#9796 - Resuming playback from a plugin produces weird behaviour
- FS#9827 - Rockbox data Abort at 000090D0 (0)
- FS#9836 - Labels are drawn near the left in the color picker screen.
- FS#9863 - Disk not spun down properly when rebooting for USB
- FS#9894 - Position of the progress bar is not updated after the font is changed
- FS#9900 - "Idle Poweroff" while charging causes infinite reboot loop on 3G ipod
- FS#9914 - Sansa e280 locks up when plugging in USB
- FS#9935 - audio_get_buffer() doesn't make the buffering code mark the buffer as invalid soon enough
- FS#9949 - Song not playing, noise instead
- FS#9977 - Tagcache Database Song limit of 32768
- FS#9980 - bookmarks fail to create when using microSD cards
- FS#9995 - audio failure at resume when paused, burst of static noise
- FS#8948 - Building .talk files with rbutil -- long file-name problems
- FS#9563 - RButil 1.0.7 for MacOSX does not appear to be statically linked
- FS#9711 - Rbutil.exe 1.0.8 fails to start
- FS#9729 - Rbutil can not detect Sansa e250 for automated installation
- FS#9766 - Gigabeat software keeps booting
- FS#9944 - RBUtils gets into a configuration loop when it fails to write config files.
- FS#10013 - The Rockbox Utility can not select the cache path. (Windows)
- FS#8839 - Virtual Keyboard Paging Keymaps are Missing from the Manuals
- FS#8927 - PictureFlow documentation missing from manual
- FS#9524 - QuickScreen Items setting missing from manual
- FS#9704 - Manual mentions 3.0 as latest release, should be made vaguer.
- FS#9705 - Manual section 5.12 (Main Menu->System) has old, floating sentence.
- FS#9806 - Manual: Section 12.1.2 Loading Fonts has wrong menu structure
- FS#9614 - "make tools" does not succeed.
- FS#9737 - When DEBUG is defined, invadrox plugin build failure.
- FS#9771 - Build failure doom plugin on SIMULATOR
- FS#9970 - Build failure the uisimulator when HAVE_SERIAL and ROCKBOX_HAS_LOGF is defined.
As much as we try to avoid it, some bugs have simply not been worked out yet, and are still present in Rockbox 3.2. This is not a complete list, but covers the most important, unresolved bugs. Please have a look at the individual bug reports if you think that some may apply to you, as often a bug can depend on very specific circumstances and many only exist on certain players.
- FS#2660 - No radio on FM recorder
- FS#4753 - USB Bootloader Mode not working properly on H300 series
- FS#5230 - Keypad HOLD doesn't let go until scrolling is used
- FS#5269 - Can't turn on iriver with the H300 non-LCD remote
- FS#7515 - Radio disappears from menu on Sansas!
- FS#7572 - The radio scan forward and backward actions don't stop
- FS#7631 - Charging screen broken on V2 Recorder
- FS#7672 - Volume gets louder then power cut. Battery shows no charge, but is OK on H10
- FS#7960 - Shows ATA Error instead of charging screen on Archos
- FS#8066 - End of voice clips are cut off when playback stopped
- FS#8206 - Resuming playback from end of song after power on confuses playback
- FS#8372 - Idle Poweroff only reboots on 1G iPod
- FS#8386 - Problem when fast forwarding and then quickly changing track
- FS#8391 - Mini 2G fails to dual boot
- FS#8778 - iPod 1G scrollwheel not enabled
- FS#8802 - iPod does not charge via an AC -> USB adapter
- FS#8933 - Sansa e280 stuck after swtich the playlist
- FS#8999 - CPU stays boosted when skipping to the next track while buffering is still in progress
- FS#9152 - No sound after seeking or directory skip
- FS#9628 - Sound sometimes doesn't work on mr100 if booted without headphones plugged in
- FS#8659 - Sansa c250 - bug in the metronome application (won't play!) (The metronome plugin has been disabled on Sansa C200, Archos Player and Archos Ondio FM/SP).
- FS#9383 - chessclock freezes on deleting a player
Rockbox is a collaborative project with many contributors:
Björn Stenberg, Linus Nielsen Feltzing, Andy Choi, Andrew Jamieson, Paul Suade,
Joachim Schiffer, Daniel Stenberg, Alan Korr, Gary Czvitkovicz, Stuart Martin,
Felix Arends, Ulf Ralberg, David Härdeman, Thomas Saeys, Grant Wier, Julien
Labruyére, Nicolas Sauzede, Robert Hak, Dave Chapman, Stefan Meyer, Eric
Linenberg, Tom Cvitan, Magnus Öman, Jerome Kuptz, Julien Boissinot, Nuutti
Kotivuori, Heikki Hannikainen, Hardeep Sidhu, Markus Braun, Justin Heiner,
Magnus Holmgren, Bill Napier, George Styles, Mats Lidell, Lee Marlow, Nate
Nystrom, Nick Robinson, Chad Lockwood, John Pybus, Uwe Freese, Randy Wood,
Gregory Haerr, Philipp Pertermann, Gilles Roux, Mark Hillebrand, Damien Teney,
Andreas Zwirtes, Kjell Ericson, Jim Hagani, Ludovic Lange, Mike Holden, Simon
Elén, Matthew P. OReilly, Christian Schönberger, Henrik Backe, Craig Sather,
José Maria Garcia-Valdecasas Bernal, Stevie Oh, Jörg Hohensohn, Dave Jones,
Thomas Paul Diffenbach, Roland Kletzing, Itai Shaked, Keith Hubbard, Benjamin
Metzler, Frederic Dang Ngoc, Pierre Delore, Huw Smith, Garrett Derner, Barry
McIntosh, Leslie Donaldson, Lee Pilgrim, Zakk Roberts, Francois Boucher,
Matthias Wientapper, Brent Coutts, Jens Arnold, Gerald Vanbaren, Christi
Scarborough, Steve Cundari, Mat Holton, Jan Gajdos, Antoine Cellerier, Brian
King, Jiri Jurecek, Jacob Erlbeck, Jean-Philippe Bernardy, Dave Hooper, Jonas
Häggqvist, Thom Johansen, Rinat Zakirov, Manuel Dejonghe, Marcoen Hirschberg,
Michiel van der Kolk, Tony Motakis, Andy Young, Alexandre Bourget, Richard S.
La Charité III, Christian Gmeiner, Tomas Salfischberger, Miika Pekkarinen,
Tapio Karppinen, Richard Ottó O'Brien, Luca Burelli, Alessio Lenzi, David
Bryant, Martin Arver, Alexander Spyridakis, Pedro Baltazar Vasconcelos, Ray
Lambert, Dave Wiard, Pieter Bos, Konstantin Isakov, Bryan Vandyke, Hristo
Kovachev, Sander Sweers, Antonius Hellman, Ryan Jackson, Per Holmäng, Frederic
Devernay, José M. Fandiño, Gadi Cohen, Naftali Goldstein, David Dent, Frank
Dischner, Liberman Shachar, Stephan Wezel, Alyssa Milburn, Kevin Ferrare, Anton
Oleynikov, Mark Arigo, Magnus Westerlund, Jake Owen, Mustapha Senhaji, Adam
Boot, Jonathan Gordon, Tat Tang, Toshihiko Itoh, David J. Song, Jeong Taek In,
Anders Kagerin, Peter D'Hoye, Ben Basha, Brandon Low, Nathan Hand, Nick Lanham,
Sebastian Henriksen, Martin Scarratt, Karl Kurbjun, Tomasz Malesinski, Andrew
Pilley, Matt v.d. Westhuizen, Tim Crist, Jvo Studer, Dan Everton, Imre Herceg,
Seven Le Mesle, Craig Bachelor, Nikolaj Christensen, Mikael Magnusson, Dominik
Wenger, Henrico Witvliet, Andrew Scott, Miguel A. Arévalo, Aaron F. Gonzalez,
Aleksey Kozyulin, Jani Kinnunen, Rui Marinho, Alun Thomas, Nils Wallménius,
Naoaki Okazaki, Will Dyson, Matthias Mohr, Christian Marg, Eli Sherer, Fredrik
Öhrn, Nicolas Pennequin, Ralf Herz, Michael DiFebbo, David Rothenberger,
Robert Keevil, Mark Bright, Dominik Riebeling, Alexander Bondar, Peter Cawley,
Rani Hod, Tom Ross, Anton Romanov, Jean-Luc Ohl, Steve Bavin, Marianne Arnold,
Gaetano Vocca, Frederik Vestre, Wenbin Leo, Tom Evans, Ewan Davies, Frédéric
François, Marc-André Moreau, Ioannis Koutoulakis, Alistair Marshall, Karl Ove
Hufthammer, Víctor Zabalza, Ulrich Pegelow, Andreas Mattsson, Daniel Ankers,
Paul Louden, Rainer Sinsch, Plácido Revilla, Michael Sevakis, Lukas Sabota,
Emanuel Zephir, Alexander Levin, Barry Wardell, Lars van de Klomp, Philippe
Miossec, Jochen Kemnade, Corry Lazarowitz, Tom Meyer, Laurent Baum, James Teh,
Liam Nattrass, Christian Hack, Wade Brown, Vadim Chekan, Christopher Borcsok,
Victor Cardenas, Andrew Melville, Pengxuan Liu, Andrew Cupper, Thilo-Alexander
Ginkel, Adam Gashlin, Robert Kukla, David Quesada, Jared Stafford, Martin
Hensel, Stéphane Doyon, Austin Appel, Andre Smith, Travis Hyyppa, Ian Webber,
Pavel Gnelitsa, Lutz Böhne, Will Robertson, Robert Carboneau, Ye Wei, Bryan
Childs, Mike Schmitt, Chris Taylor, Tobias Langhoff, Steve Gotthardt, Greg
White, Mattieu Favréaux, Malcolm Tyrrell, Piotr Jafiszow, Gary Allen, John
BouAntoun, Tomasz Mon, Jakub Matou¨ek, Albert Veli, Chris Dohan, Takashi
Obara, Rene Peinthor, Roan Horning, Ben Keroack, Sean Morrisey, Shay Green,
Nick Vanderweit, Simon Menzel, Timo Horstschäfer, Jacco Koning, Chris Ham, Jose
Ramon Garcia, Simon Descarpentries, Douglas Valentine, Jacob Gardner, Pascal
Briehl, Denis Stanishevskiy, Eddy Coman, Luke Blaney, Mark Reiche, Michal
Jevjak, Philippe Latulippe, Mauricio Peccorini, Nathan Hepting, Akio Idehara,
Dagni McPhee, Alex Gerchanovsky, Gerhard Dirschl, Ivan Zupan, Alexander
Papst, Christoph Reiter, Rhino Banga, Paul Jones, Michael Giacomelli, Alex
Wenger, Andree Buschmann, Johnathon Mihalop, Rene Allkivi, Tobias Schladt, John
Zhou, Charles Voelger, Gerritt Gonzales, Dieter Pellkofer, Evgeniy Kachalin,
Lenny Koepsell, Harry Tu, Pawel Wysocki, Xinlu Huang, Daniel Dalton, Boris
Gjenero, Sylvain Fourmanoit, Alex Parker, Mario Lang, Justin Foell, Igor
Kuzmin, Adilson Vicente Xavier, Jesse Lockwood, Jonathan Backer, Sofian Babai,
Costas Calamvokis, Catalin Patulea, Peter Harley, Max Kelley, Alexander
Eickhoff, Pinitnun Shanasabang, Ken Fazzone, David Bishop, Hein-Pieter van
Braam, Przemysław Hołubowski, Stepan Moskovchenko, John S. Gwynne, Brian J.
Morey, Stijn Hisken, Bertrik Sikken, Karim Boucher, James Espinoza, Franz
Rühmland, Jordan Anderson, Maurus Cuelenaere, Chris Allegretta, Alastair S,
Martin Crkovský, Ariya Hidayat, Jonas Hurrelmann, Lee Kang Hyuk, Clemens
Werther, Robert Menes, Henri Valta, Melba Sitjar, Mehmet Ş. Çatalbaş, Scott
Tinman, Alexander Kuzmenkov, Thomas Martitz, Prakarn Sahasoontornvute, George
Tamplaru, Apoorva Mahajan, Vuong Minh Hiep, Mateusz Kubica, Frank Gevaerts,
Chelo Sacristán, Sascha Wolf, Nickolay Jordanov, Johannes Voggenthaler, Marc
Guay, Alex Vanderpol, Jerry Lange, Yohann Misquitta, Keith Perri, Mark Fawcus,
Ivan Pesic, Marcel Barbulescu, Phil Light, Rob Purchase, Andreas Müller,
Christopher Williams, Martin Ritter, Justin Hannigan, Tomasz Wasilczyk, Kenjiro
Arai, John Kaminar, Joris Goosen, Mark Ganson, Davide Gentile, James Vasile,
Mohamed Tarek, Mike Burke, Michael Chicoine, Maciej Adamczak, Tomer Shalev,
Thibaut Girka, Rasmus Ry, William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno, Adrian Osoianu,
Martin Pahl, Ori Avtalion, Thomas Schott, Dennis Ivanov, Takumi Suzuki,
Shunsuke Shimizu, Tadayuki Nishizono, Jun Gu, Daniel Weck, Clément Pit-Claudel,
Jelle Geerts, Tadeusz Pyś, Rostislav Chekan, Florin Popescu, Volker Mische,
Vitja Makarov, Francisco Vila, Christian Lees, Rafaël Carré, Denes Balatoni,
Roy Wallace, Eric Lassauge, François Dinel, Francesco Rigoni, Joël Puik, Klaas
Bosteels, Teruaki Kawashima, Marcin Łukasik, Le Jin, Alex Bennee, Stéphane
Quertinmont, Bartosz Fabianowski, Adam Hogan, Andrew Mahone, Anton Veretenenko,
Vicente Ibarra, Rui Araújo, Brian Cloutier, Olivier Barbut, Yoshihisa Uchida,
Sanggon Lee, Anton Veretenenko, Kaspar Rothenfußer, Ryan Press, Craig Elliott,
Kenderes Tamas, Eric Shattow, Joshua Simmons, Sei Aoyumi, Martin Pool, Gareth
Schakel, Brian Sutherland, Sam Bouwer, Johannes Linke, Michaël Burtin, Sasha
Khamkov, Kai Posadowsky
In additional to these direct contributors, Rockbox uses code from several other projects. Without these, we couldn't have done it, so we would like to thank the following teams:
The libmad team, The wavpack team, The ffmpeg team, The Ogg Vorbis team, The
liba52 team, The Speex team, The libfaad team, The Doom team, The gnuchess
team, The gnuboy team, The Pacman Instructional Emulator team, The Spectemu
team, The libmpeg2 team, The Game_Music_Emu team, The OpenSPC DSP emulator
team, The ALAC decoder team, The UCL team, The iPod Linux team, The Vision-8
Emulator team, The robotfindskitten team, The libmtp team, The asap team,
: Rockbox 3.2 (released 2009-03-23)
Copyright © by the contributing authors.