*NOT YET RELEASED*
Release Notes for Rockbox 3.9
__________ __ ___.
Open \______ \ ____ ____ | | _\_ |__ _______ ___
Source | _// _ \_/ ___\| |/ /| __ \ / _ \ \/ /
Jukebox | | ( <_> ) \___| < | \_\ ( <_> > < <
Firmware |____|_ /\____/ \___ >__|_ \|___ /\____/__/\_ \
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Rockbox 3.9 was released on 27 June 2011
The Rockbox project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Rockbox 3.9. Three months have passed since the last release, and in that time we've been busy adding features and fixing bugs to give you the best Rockbox experience yet on the widest range of targets ever.
We are also particularly happy to welcome quite a few new developers and contributors who have joined our merry team since Rockbox 3.8.1.
If you can't wait, hurry up to http://www.rockbox.org/download/
and get the release now! If you're still curious about what has changed, read on for a slightly more detailed summary and list of changes.
Enjoy Rockbox - we enjoy making it.
Rockbox is a complete replacement for the software that drives your digital audio players. It was written from the ground up to provide a better experience than the existing software, giving you more options and putting you in charge of the player. In most areas, Rockbox far surpasses the manufacturers firmware, truly unleashing the full potential of your hardware. It's written by users, for users.
for more details.
Some new things since version 3.8.1:
- Major rework of playback engine (FS#12069)
- Rework WM8758 configuration to reduce popping during statrtup and optimize THD and SNR (FS#12154)
- Fix issues with iPod nano 2G displays caused by too low voltage supply. (FS#11911)
- Significant SD card compatibility improvements on AMSv2, particularly for devices with the newer SD controller variant (FS#11870)
- Add support for embedded album art in MP4/M4A files (FS#12009)
- Line-in recording on the MPIO HD300
- Support for nice looking anti-aliased fonts added (FS#8961)
- A new translation, US English, has been added, as well as updates to many other languages. Rockbox 3.9 is released fully translated to xx languages and with xx additional languages more than 95% completed.
- Keymap: Holding any button during USB insert now forces charge mode
- Allow a short rewind when playback is paused (FS#11931)
- Logical-OR for tagnavi_custom.config, allowing more powerful song-database queries (FS#12095)
- Remove track-number generation heuristic from database (FS#12107)
- Implement more robust MPEG header parsing for better playability of mp1/2/3 files (FS#12007)
- Performance optimizations for several audio codecs. (FS#11268, FS#12113, FS#12115, FS#12117)
- Optimize tremor for faster decoding of ogg/vorbis on tagets with no special iram buffer. (FS#11268)
- Major rework of m4a parser to reduce memory consumption and enhance playability on low memory targets (FS#8923)
Rockbox runs well on these players, has a complete manual and is supported by RockboxUtility
- Apple: Ipod 1g through 5.5g, Ipod Mini and Ipod Nano 1g and 2g
- Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
- Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
- iRiver: H100, H300 and H10 series
- Olympus: M:Robe 100
- Packard Bell: Vibe 500
- SanDisk: Sansa c200 (not v2), e200 and e200R series, Fuze, Clip and Clip+
- Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)
How to upgrade
Using the RockboxUtility
is the easiest way to install Rockbox 3.9. Simply run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you stop/eject/unmount the USB disk before you unplug it. You can also download Rockbox 3.9 from http://www.rockbox.org/download/
If you need more help, or want to use Bootbox to be able to install Rockbox to flash memory on Archos players, see the Documentation section of this document for information on where to find help for doing this.
Rockbox comes with an extensive manual, which can be found on the downloads page
. Please read it before asking questions in the support channels. The PDF versions can be searched for keywords making it very easy to find the answer to your query or solution to your problem. As well, the FAQs linked on the left side bar can be very helpful and make explain some behavior you are noticing but not expecting. If you notice any errors in the manual, please report them to the tracker after reading the how-to at FlySprayHowto
. If you would like to contribute to the manual, please see the RockboxManual
Since the release of Rockbox 3.8.1, the following bugs have been fixed (amongst others).
- FS#12164 - Possible decoding corruption of RealAudio? files
- FS#12161 - Correct the gapless processing for AAC
- FS#12146 - Fix synthesis error in RealAudio? decoder
- FS#12065 - Database RAM cache doesn't work with Chinese-simp
- FS#12043 - Next track was resumed when pausing and shutting down the player in the last seconds of a track.
- FS#12041 - Support loading backdrops from anywhere in the filesystem
- FS#12024 - Scroll acceleration does not work for iRiver H10
- FS#12019 - High pitch noise when decoding AAC SBR files
- FS#11973 - iPod nano1G needs reboot after entering record mode to have audio again
- FS#11951 - View Current Playlist don't speak.
- FS#11813 - Frequency is not tuned the first time the radio is turned on
- FS#10976 and FS#10992 - Translating in Database Viewer
- FS#8206 - Resuming playback from end of song after power on confuses playback
- FS#11387 - PictureFlow? runs jerkily while playing music on Nano2G?
As much as we try to avoid it, some bugs have simply not been worked out yet, and are still present in Rockbox 3.9. This is not a complete list, but covers the most important, unresolved bugs. Please have a look at the individual bug reports if you think that some may apply to you, as often a bug can depend on very specific circumstances and many only exist on certain players. This are the most serious or annoying bugs, you can always find the complete list of filed bug reports and not-yet included contributions on FlySpray
- FS#4753 - USB Bootloader Mode not working properly on H300 series
- FS#5269 - Can't turn on iriver with the H300 non-LCD remote
- FS#7515 - Radio disappears from menu on Sansas
- FS#7631 - Charging screen broken on V2 Recorder
- FS#7960 - Shows ATA Error instead of charging screen on Archos
- FS#8066 - End of voice clips are cut off when playback stopped
- FS#8372 - Idle Poweroff only reboots on 1G Ipod
- FS#8778 - Ipod 1G scrollwheel not enabled
- FS#9628 - Sound sometimes doesn't work on mr100 if booted without headphones plugged in
- FS#11856 - Set of ogg vorbis files will not play
- USB is still too unstable on the FuzeV2?, ClipV2? and Clip+ and is disabled in this release
- FS#10481 - Doom crashes on Sansa e200v2, Fuze, Clip, and Clip+ due to lack of RAM
- FS#11675 - Resistor plugin - led resistor calculator does not wait for keypress
Rockbox is a collaborative project with many contributors. Thanks to everybody who has helped to make Rockbox what is is:
Björn Stenberg, Linus Nielsen Feltzing, Andy Choi, Andrew Jamieson, Paul Suade, Joachim Schiffer, Daniel Stenberg, Alan Korr, Gary Czvitkovicz, Stuart Martin, Felix Arends, Ulf Ralberg, David Härdeman, Thomas Saeys, Grant Wier, Julien Labruyére, Nicolas Sauzede, Robert Hak, Dave Chapman, Stefan Meyer, Eric Linenberg, Tom Cvitan, Magnus Öman, Jerome Kuptz, Julien Boissinot, Nuutti Kotivuori, Heikki Hannikainen, Hardeep Sidhu, Markus Braun, Justin Heiner, Magnus Holmgren, Bill Napier, George Styles, Mats Lidell, Lee Marlow, Nate Nystrom, Nick Robinson, Chad Lockwood, John Pybus, Uwe Freese, Randy Wood, Gregory Haerr, Philipp Pertermann, Gilles Roux, Mark Hillebrand, Damien Teney, Andreas Zwirtes, Kjell Ericson, Jim Hagani, Ludovic Lange, Mike Holden, Simon Elén, Matthew P. OReilly, Christian Schönberger, Henrik Backe, Craig Sather, José Maria Garcia-Valdecasas Bernal, Stevie Oh, Jörg Hohensohn, Dave Jones, Thomas Paul Diffenbach, Roland Kletzing, Itai Shaked, Keith Hubbard, Benjamin Metzler, Frederic Dang Ngoc, Pierre Delore, Huw Smith, Garrett Derner, Barry McIntosh, Leslie Donaldson, Lee Pilgrim, Zakk Roberts, Francois Boucher, Matthias Wientapper, Brent Coutts, Jens Arnold, Gerald Vanbaren, Christi Scarborough, Steve Cundari, Mat Holton, Jan Gajdos, Antoine Cellerier, Brian King, Jiri Jurecek, Jacob Erlbeck, Jean-Philippe Bernardy, Dave Hooper, Jonas Häggqvist, Thom Johansen, Rinat Zakirov, Manuel Dejonghe, Marcoen Hirschberg, Michiel van der Kolk, Tony Motakis, Andy Young, Alexandre Bourget, Richard S. La Charité III, Christian Gmeiner, Tomas Salfischberger, Miika Pekkarinen, Tapio Karppinen, Richard Ottó O'Brien, Luca Burelli, Alessio Lenzi, David Bryant, Martin Arver, Alexander Spyridakis, Pedro Baltazar Vasconcelos, Ray Lambert, Dave Wiard, Pieter Bos, Konstantin Isakov, Bryan Vandyke, Hristo Kovachev, Sander Sweers, Antonius Hellman, Ryan Jackson, Per Holmäng, Frederic Devernay, José M. Fandiño, Gadi Cohen, Naftali Goldstein, David Dent, Frank Dischner, Liberman Shachar, Stephan Wezel, Alyssa Milburn, Kevin Ferrare, Anton Oleynikov, Mark Arigo, Magnus Westerlund, Jake Owen, Mustapha Senhaji, Adam Boot, Jonathan Gordon, Tat Tang, Toshihiko Itoh, David J. Song, Jeong Taek In, Anders Kagerin, Peter D'Hoye, Ben Basha, Brandon Low, Nathan Hand, Nick Lanham, Sebastian Henriksen, Martin Scarratt, Karl Kurbjun, Tomasz Malesinski, Andrew Pilley, Matt v.d. Westhuizen, Tim Crist, Jvo Studer, Dan Everton, Imre Herceg, Seven Le Mesle, Craig Bachelor, Nikolaj Christensen, Mikael Magnusson, Dominik Wenger, Henrico Witvliet, Andrew Scott, Miguel A. Arévalo, Aaron F. Gonzalez, Aleksey Kozyulin, Jani Kinnunen, Rui Marinho, Alun Thomas, Nils Wallménius, Naoaki Okazaki, Will Dyson, Matthias Mohr, Christian Marg, Eli Sherer, Fredrik Öhrn, Nicolas Pennequin, Ralf Herz, Michael DiFebbo, David Rothenberger, Robert Keevil, Mark Bright, Dominik Riebeling, Alexander Bondar, Peter Cawley, Rani Hod, Tom Ross, Anton Romanov, Jean-Luc Ohl, Steve Bavin, Marianne Arnold, Gaetano Vocca, Frederik Vestre, Wenbin Leo, Tom Evans, Ewan Davies, Frédéric François, Marc-André Moreau, Ioannis Koutoulakis, Alistair Marshall, Karl Ove Hufthammer, Víctor Zabalza, Ulrich Pegelow, Andreas Mattsson, Daniel Ankers, Paul Louden, Rainer Sinsch, Plácido Revilla, Michael Sevakis, Lukas Sabota, Emanuel Zephir, Alexander Levin, Barry Wardell, Lars van de Klomp, Philippe Miossec, Jochen Kemnade, Corry Lazarowitz, Tom Meyer, Laurent Baum, James Teh, Liam Nattrass, Christian Hack, Wade Brown, Vadim Chekan, Christopher Borcsok, Victor Cardenas, Andrew Melville, Pengxuan Liu, Andrew Cupper, Thilo-Alexander Ginkel, Adam Gashlin, Robert Kukla, David Quesada, Jared Stafford, Martin Hensel, Stéphane Doyon, Austin Appel, Andre Smith, Travis Hyyppa, Ian Webber, Pavel Gnelitsa, Lutz Böhne, Will Robertson, Robert Carboneau, Ye Wei, Bryan Childs, Mike Schmitt, Chris Taylor, Tobias Langhoff, Steve Gotthardt, Greg White, Mattieu Favréaux, Malcolm Tyrrell, Piotr Jafiszow, Gary Allen, John BouAntoun, Tomasz Mon, Jakub Matoušek, Albert Veli, Chris Dohan, Takashi Obara, Rene Peinthor, Roan Horning, Ben Keroack, Sean Morrisey, Shay Green, Nick Vanderweit, Simon Menzel, Timo Horstschäfer, Jacco Koning, Chris Ham, Jose Ramon Garcia, Simon Descarpentries, Douglas Valentine, Jacob Gardner, Pascal Briehl, Denis Stanishevskiy, Eddy Coman, Luke Blaney, Mark Reiche, Michal Jevjak, Philippe Latulippe, Mauricio Peccorini, Nathan Hepting, Akio Idehara, Dagni McPhee, Alex Gerchanovsky, Gerhard Dirschl, Ivan Zupan, Alexander Papst, Christoph Reiter, Rhino Banga, Paul Jones, Michael Giacomelli, Alex Wenger, Andree Buschmann, Johnathon Mihalop, Rene Allkivi, Tobias Schladt, John Zhou, Charles Voelger, Gerritt Gonzales, Dieter Pellkofer, Evgeniy Kachalin, Lenny Koepsell, Harry Tu, Pawel Wysocki, Xinlu Huang, Daniel Dalton, Boris Gjenero, Sylvain Fourmanoit, Alex Parker, Mario Lang, Justin Foell, Igor Kuzmin, Adilson Vicente Xavier, Jesse Lockwood, Jonathan Backer, Sofian Babai, Costas Calamvokis, Catalin Patulea, Peter Harley, Max Kelley, Alexander Eickhoff, Ken Fazzone, David Bishop, Hein-Pieter van Braam, Przemysław Hołubowski, Stepan Moskovchenko, John S. Gwynne, Brian J. Morey, Stijn Hisken, Bertrik Sikken, Karim Boucher, James Espinoza, Franz Rühmland, Jordan Anderson, Maurus Cuelenaere, Chris Allegretta, Alastair S, Martin Crkovský, Ariya Hidayat, Jonas Hurrelmann, Lee Kang Hyuk, Clemens Werther, Robert Menes, Henri Valta, Melba Sitjar, Mehmet Ş. Çatalbaş, Scott Tinman, Alexander Kuzmenkov, Thomas Martitz, Prakarn Sahasoontornvute, George Tamplaru, Apoorva Mahajan, Vuong Minh Hiep, Mateusz Kubica, Frank Gevaerts, Chelo Sacristán, Sascha Wolf, Nickolay Jordanov, Johannes Voggenthaler, Marc Guay, Alex Vanderpol, Jerry Lange, Yohann Misquitta, Keith Perri, Mark Fawcus, Ivan Pesic, Marcel Barbulescu, Phil Light, Rob Purchase, Andreas Müller, Christopher Williams, Martin Ritter, Justin Hannigan, Tomasz Wasilczyk, Kenjiro Arai, John Kaminar, Joris Goosen, Mark Ganson, Davide Gentile, James Vasile, Mohamed Tarek, Mike Burke, Michael Chicoine, Maciej Adamczak, Tomer Shalev, Thibaut Girka, Rasmus Ry, William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno, Adrian Osoianu, Martin Pahl, Ori Avtalion, Thomas Schott, Dennis Ivanov, Takumi Suzuki, Shunsuke Shimizu, Tadayuki Nishizono, Jun Gu, Daniel Weck, Clément Pit-Claudel, Jelle Geerts, Tadeusz Pyś;, Rostislav Chekan, Florin Popescu, Volker Mische, Vitja Makarov, Francisco Vila, Christian Lees, Rafaël Carré, Denes Balatoni, Roy Wallace, Eric Lassauge, François Dinel, Francesco Rigoni, Joël Puik, Klaas Bosteels, Teruaki Kawashima, Marcin Łukasik, Le Jin, Alex Bennee, Stéphane Quertinmont, Bartosz Fabianowski, Adam Hogan, Andrew Mahone, Anton Veretenenko, Vicente Ibarra, Rui Araújo, Brian Cloutier, Olivier Barbut, Yoshihisa Uchida, Sanggon Lee, Vineet George, Anton Veretenenko, Kaspar Rothenfußer, Ryan Press, Craig Elliott, Kenderes Tamas, Eric Shattow, Joshua Simmons, Sei Aoyumi, Martin Pool, Gareth Schakel, Brian Sutherland, Sam Bouwer, Johannes Linke, Michaël Burtin, Sasha Khamkov, Kai Posadowsky, Jack Halpin, Johannes Schwarz, Dustin Skoracki, Torne Wuff, Wookey, Nick Sant, Michael Carr, Eric Clayton, Marko Pahlke, Vytenis Sabelka, Nicolas Pitre, Benedikt Goos, Frederick Full, Jeffrey Goode, Raafat Akkad, Michaël Burtin, Davide Quarta, Andre Lupa, Hilton Shumway, Matthew Bonnett, Nick Tryon, David Johnston, Ralph Soto, Mykhailo Radzievskyi, Christophe Gouiran, Asael Reiter, Jens Erdmann, Rosso Maltese, Amaury Pouly, Laurent Papier, Johannes Boy, Jason Yu, Aaron DeMille, Tomasz Kowalczyk, Michael Lechner, David Kauffmann, Carsten Schreiter, Michael Sparmann, Seth Opgenorth, Jonas Aaberg, Junio C Hamano, Bob Cousins, Christophe Nicolas, Yann Muller, Sascha Wilde, Fred Bauer, Simon Rothen, Pavel Rzehák, Diego Herranz, Viktor Varga, Juliusz Chroboczek, Christian Beier, Giovanni Zilli, Shiloh Hawley, Peter Lecký, Wilfred Hughes, Laurent Gautier, Simon Zhukovsky, Daniel Kluz, Phinitnun Chanasabaeng, Tse-Hsien Chiang, Szymon Dziok, Domenico Di Misa, Delyan Kratunov, Purling Nayuki, Marek Salaba, Altay Oz, Peter Lecky, Mark Borgerding, Tobias Diedrich, Andrew Engelbrecht, Kevin Schoedel, Jens Theeß, Alexey Nemtsev, Pascal Below, Danny Attar, Philipp Stephani, Tore Johnny Bråtveit, Marcin Bukat, Andrew Rodland, Luca Leonardo Scorcia, Gerhard Zintel, Adrián Cereto Massagué, Chris Savery, Raphaël Jakse, Wincent Balin, Aaron Rothbaum, Nejc Lotric, Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson, Stephen Carroll, Joe Balough, Jérôme Heil, Tim Graf, Martin Sägmüller, Joshua Hulst, Pierre-Yves Roosens, Hayden Pearce, Rodrigo Barretto, Daniel Rigby, Alexey Polkhirev, István Nagy, Wojciech Lesniak, Tuomas Airaksinen, Calvin Walden, Michael Gentry, David Fowle, Fabian Vogel, Michael Stummvoll, Franz-Josef Haider, Michael Hohmuth, Sergio Vera, Michael Leslie, Craig Mann, William Peters, Li Jie, Cristina Talpiga, Ştefan Moisei, Alexander Meshcheryakov, Ryan Sawhill, Thomas Jarosch, Will Sowerbutts, Łukasz Stelmach, Gabriel Maia, Robert Horn, Ante Maretic, Benjamin Brown, Uwe Wiebach, Mikhail Titov, Dave Slusher, Jean-Marie Moraux, Ismael Castiñeira Álvarez, Mārtiņ imis, Huan Zhang, Leif Andersen, Sergiu Rotaru, Noé Lojkine, Ophir Lojkine, Stephan Grossklass, John Morris, Sean Bartell, Seheon Ryu
In addition to these direct contributors, Rockbox uses code from several other projects. Without these, we couldn't have done it, so we would like to thank the following teams:
The libmad team, The wavpack team, The FFmpeg team, The Ogg Vorbis team, The liba52 team, The Speex team, The libfaad team, The Doom team, The gnuchess team, The gnuboy team, The Pacman Instructional Emulator team, The Spectemu team, The libmpeg2 team, The Game_Music_Emu team, The OpenSPC DSP emulator team, The ALAC decoder team, The UCL team, The iPod Linux team, The Vision-8 Emulator team, The robotfindskitten team, The libmtp team, The asap team, The libpng team, The Pure Data team (Miller Puckette and others), The MikMod team
Copyright © by the contributing authors.