Gigabeat S Port page
For information about the player itself see GigabeatSInfo
See the manual
As it stands, compiling a bootloader from rockbox SVN and running it inside an nk.bin file works and it can start a rockbox binary. The bootloader can also be run stand-alone and provides a bootloader USB mode. USB MSC support appears to work reliably enough to copy builds and bootloaders to the device once rockbox is installed. Audio playback works.
| LCD driver ||100%|
| Font rendering ||100%|
| Backlight ||100%|
| ATA driver ||100%|
| Button driver ||100%|
| SPI driver ||100%|
| ADC driver ||100%|
| USB handler ||100%|
| Power handling ||100%|
| I2C driver ||100%|
| Audio DAC driver ||100%|
| RTC driver ||100%|
- The LCD driver works and is very similar to the Gigabeat F/X for basic graphics. We're still re-using what was set up by the Toshiba bootloader except for changing the framebuffer address at boot. LCD power management is implemented.
- Under Windows, plugging USB for charging only but not connecting still needs to be properly handled (driver popup issue) but it will charge when connected normally-- no issue under Linux.
Things to do before "supported" status
It is hoped to include the Gigabeat S in a forthcoming release. The intention is make Rockbox Utility the standard install method - for now beastpatcher (see utils/MTP/beastpatcher has been released as v1.0 and can perform a manual bootloader install.
Current status of beastpatcher:
- Generic functionality - Single-boot installation works along with the ability to install a user-specified "nk.bin", or to create a dual-boot bootloader, and to uninstall.
- Linux port - Works - libmtp/libusb are statically linked.
- Windows port - Works, but fails silently on Windows XP with WMP10 (works fine on XP with WMP11). beastpatcher runs as single binary if built with MS Visual Studio 2005, and as binary using the external MTP_DLL.dll when built with MinGW? / Cygwin.
- OS X port - Works, after some fiddling by BarryWardell
In addition to completing beastpatcher, the following need to be done before Rockbox can be added to the "supported" list, or included in a release:
* Solve the issue where the single boot bootloader doesn't work for some people * Investigate and try to avoid the situation whereby the OF flash loader sometimes decides to reformat the player.
- Solve the issue where the single boot bootloader doesn't work for some people
- Investigate and try to avoid the situation whereby the OF flash loader sometimes decides to reformat the player (see also FS#9778 for both issues).
The following would be nice to do prior to an official release, but are not considered essential:
- Include support in rbutil. Bootloader install would require running the external beastpatcher binary.
- Finish the development of the "undelete original firmware nk.bin" idea to enable dual-booting without the user needing to provide an original firmware nk.bin file.
CategoryFrontpage: Gigabeat S Port Index [New Ports]
Copyright © by the contributing authors.