Subject: Re: iPod from scratch

Re: iPod from scratch

From: Stefan Ott via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 00:52:48 +0100

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 10:13:51PM +0100, Michael Sparmann via rockbox wrote:

> Some helpful info seems to be here as well:
> http://www.ipodlinux.org/Firmware.html
> http://www.ipodlinux.org/Restore_without_iTunes.html

Those were quite helpful indeed, helped me figure out what's on the
disk.

For future reference, it seems that Rockbox does include everything the
iPod needs, a simple "scramble -ipod5g rockbox.bin sdb1.dd" is enough.
The resulting image can then be dd'd to the first partition, no blobs
required. As an additional bonus, with this approach I could shrink the
first partition to about 800KB rather than the 80MB that iTunes used:

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdf1 63 1675 1613 806.5K 0 Empty
/dev/sdf2 1676 7847279 7845604 3.8G b W95 FAT32

Thanks for all the help.
--
Stefan Ott