Subject: Re: hosting update: dns & existing rockbox.org email aliases

Re: hosting update: dns & existing rockbox.org email aliases

From: Solomon Peachy via rockbox <rockbox_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 15:58:35 -0400

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 07:40:53PM +0100, David Hooper wrote:
> Out of interest, is there any capability in the current setup to
> load-balance across volunteer servers for hosting (rather than just CI) -
> if people have spare upstream capacity that is faster or less-flaky than
> what is currently confirmed as available?

No, no real capabilities for spreading the load other than splitting
some services back onto separate hosts. Downloads are an obvious
candidate, representing about 2/3rds of our typical bandwidth usage, and
fosshost provides those capabilities if we'd like, but making proper use
of that would require some rejiggering.

Beyond bandwidth, any affordable VPS is a lot more constrained than the
existing server, with only a fraction of the compute, disk, and memory
of what we're used to today. Gerrit in particular is pretty RAM hungry,
but the nightly compute tasks (ie manual+voicefile builds) are probably
the most CPU-intensive, but consider that moving them off the central
server would increase our bandwidth usage by about 90GB/month. It's all
about tradeoffs.

(Speaking of bandwidth, on Thursday I'm supposed to get an upgrade to my
 DSL line that could mean over 20Mbps upstream. We shall see what how
 reality compares to their not-actually-promises...)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      _at_pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)