Subject: Re: RE : looking to replace my Benjie t6: what should I get?

Re: RE : looking to replace my Benjie t6: what should I get?

From: Solomon Peachy via rockbox <rockbox_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:08:41 -0400

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 11:41:44AM +0200, Arnaud de Bonald via rockbox wrote:
> There’s no really any interesting on playing 24 Bitt lossless files
> with Rockbox, since none of the supported players do have a 24 Bits DAC
> anyway.

Just being pedantic here, but we actually have multiple players with 24
or 32-bit DACs, but the core audio path only supports 16-bit. So it's
"just" a software issue. :)

That said, we do support >48KHz audio on hardware that can handle it.

> An used Iphone with 256 GB memory and a wired 24 Bits DAC with proper
> app would give much more pleasure to deal with than the Rockbox spoken
> interface which is outdated anyway.

What's "outdated" about Rockbox's spoken interface? When it comes to
accessibility, our UI is second to none, especially when compared to a
touch-only smartphone.

> Just think about it.

Seriously, smartphones (and their touch-only interfaces) are objectively
_awful_ if you have poor (or no) vision. Even if your eyesight is good,
you still have to look at the screen when operating it so you can touch
the correct place on the screen.

(Automobile manufacturers are re-learning this lesson the hard way...)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      _at_pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)