Subject: Re: about porting rockbox to android devices

Re: about porting rockbox to android devices

From: Laz via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 15:28:54 -0400

On 11/3/17, Steph yahoo via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:
> Or ??
>

> I have no clue if this would be a better option in terms of programming or
> usability for blind people but maybe the default mode for the app when first
> time launched could be blind accessible. I am not blind but I personnally
> promote it as an app and firmware that takes great care of ALL users
> provided they are willing to try it.
> To make things simpler for a "normal" user" I suggest the first (or close)
> thing to come up in settings might then be a new item called
> "activate/deactivate blind mode".
>
> As a "normal" user I have given up searching for another "music player" app
> that offers something really different. The only thing I found useful in one
> amongst the endless list of un-userfriendly tag oriented apps available on
> Google Play was the ability to edit tags. Unfortunately tag navigation was
> just as hopeless as with any other.
> Hopefully blind users have access to a specific shorter BUT smarter list of
> apps.
> --
> envoyé de mon aPhone

No, there's no need for a special mode or specialized apps just for
blind people. All of Google's apps are blind accessible as are many
apps on the Play Store. Sometimes the dev just followed Google's
recommendations, other times the dev was asked to label some buttons
and such and that was all that was needed to make the app accessible
to the screen reader. As an example of an app that was written
properly and is fully accessible to the blind using a screen reader
take a look at Gone Mad Music Player. The dev had never even thought a
blind person would use his app yet since he wrote it following the
Google guidelines it turned out completely blind accessible.

It's just like with Windows programs; if they were written with the
Microsoft standards in mind they turn out accessible to screen reading
programs.

Laz