Subject: Archos is dead; Long live Archos

Archos is dead; Long live Archos

From: Solomon Peachy via rockbox-dev <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 19:04:32 -0400

I'm about to pull the trigger on a large patch series that (finally)
removes all support for the original devices Rockbox was created to
support; namely the old Archos models:

 Archos Player/Jukebox/Studio
 Archos Recorder
 Archos FM Recorder
 Archos Recorder v2
 Archos Ondio SP
 Archos Ondio FM

Going forward, there will be no more daily builds or any further
consideration given to continuing to maintain the Archos platform and
the infrastructure that exists solely to support it. This includes the
entire sh architecture, non-bitmap LCDs, buttonbars, HWCODEC support,
and the many, many special cases littered all over the codebase and
hosting infrastructure.

In practical terms, this doesn't really affect any users as the Archos
targets have been not seen any new feature developments for some time.
Indeed, the Recorder v1 hasn't been buildable since the end of 2013!

However, past releases continue to work as well as they ever have, and
will remain available for download indefinitely, both via the web site
and the rockbox utility.

It's the end of an era. I feel we should have some sort of ceremony or
something...

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      _at_pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)