Subject: Display charset

Display charset

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:52:58 +0100 (CET)

Just some notes from testing:

I, as I imagine other european Archos owners, miss the high-bit half of
the iso-8859-1 character set (such as åäöæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõöúøù) so I did
some testing:

Version 3.18 simply strips the high bit off all characters.

Version 4.13e appears to not strip or convert at all. "åäö" displays as
"×ä×".

Version 4.53 and later converts to 7bit ASCII in a semi-intelligent
manner. "åäö" displays as "aao".

Now the result from v4.13 tells me there is at least limited high-bit
character display capability in this thing. I've found what looks like the
conversion table in v5.03a (at 0xe3bc) but changing it didn't make any
difference.

Looking forward to a datasheet! :-)

/Björn