Subject: Re:

Re:

From: Joachim Schiffer <gemoin_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 00:40:15 +0100

> I don't know what happened. My disks are not reformattable in a PC. The BIOS
> detects the disks, but every sector access gives read/write errors.

I had the same problem with a 20 gig 3.5" IBM Drive in my Linux-Box, after the IDE-
connector was not fitted completely. After solving this problem, i tried to restart the
machine, but it didn't work. So I installed Linux on a second drive and tried to mount
the disk, but every access to the defective drive ended up in a error message.
Even fdisk was not able to access the drive.
For IBM Drives, there is a tool called drive fitness test, and it noticed the error, too.
It suggested to low-level format the drive and so I did.
After this ll-format, the drive was OK again. I only had to repartition it.
I don't know, if it's possible to low-level-format these archos (fujitsu?)
drives, but if they are really fried, i think it's worth a try?
(If you didn't try this already...)

Fujitsu doesn't seem to have a low-level-format tool, but there is a llf-tool
available from maxtor (i think its called maxllf.exe), which already formatted an
old (1.2GB) quantum drive successfully.
So maybe, it works with fujitsu, too?
But if you try it, do it at your own risk, it might be dangerous...

Joachim