Subject: [ rockbox-Feature Requests-517205 ] Preload harddrive buffer

[ rockbox-Feature Requests-517205 ] Preload harddrive buffer

From: <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:45:00 -0800

Feature Requests item #517205, was opened at 2002-02-13 13:44
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=439121&aid=517205&group_id=44306

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Newer harddrives have multi-megabyte buffers
(some as much as 16MB) that we should use to
increase time between spin-ups.

The theory is that when we spin the disk up, we
first fill our RAM and then keep reading from the
disk without storing it in RAM. The effect is that
we preload the disk buffer so that the next time
we read data, it is taken directly from the buffer
and we can possibly avoid spinning the disk.

One problem is that we need to know the buffer
size of the disk. AFAIK the size can not be read
from the disk.